The Arne Nixson Center for the Study of Children’s Literature booth displays the various LGBT-themed children’s books it has available. Jennifer Crow (left) explains the different resources the center has available. Roe Borunda / The Collegian

New alumni club advocates for LGBTQ

Rainbow Alumni and Allies club, a new LGBTQ-focused club, will hold its first mixer Monday at the Smittcamp Alumni House.

The event, beginning at 5:30 p.m., will be a time for the new club, LGBT+ Allies Network, United Student Pride and other allies clubs to meet and greet. ­

“It will be a welcoming environment and a good way to get the energy going,” said Kris Clarke, advisor for the Fresno State United Student Pride club. “It’s an opportunity to network and come together to collaborate with upcoming events for students, faculty and the community.”

The informal mixer will consist of appetizers and a short program to welcome and introduce the new alumni club.

The Rainbow club will talk about potential fundraising opportunities, set goals for the near future and plan events to help advocate for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender community.

“We’ve come a long way, more people seem to be interested and involved,” said Clarke. “It’s important that we support the LGBT. People are more successful when they can be their authentic self.”

Future events the Rainbow Alumni and Allies club have planned include book readings and signings, other mixers, assisting with LGBTQ graduation recognition ceremony in May 2016 and possible football tailgates, said Director of Alumni Marketing and Engagement Peter Robertson.

Another event the club is looking forward to is Transgender Day of Remembrance which occurs every year on November 20. The day is a time to remember ones who were killed due to transphobia, fear or hatred within the transgender community.

The Rainbow club provides mentoring, outreach/promotions, scholarships, community and campus liaison, said Robertson. ­