Jokes tested at weekly comedy show

Veteran comedians and up-and-comers take the stage Monday nights to test their comedic material at Groggs Traditional Irish Pub’s comedy show.

Blake Haydon, who started the comedy nights a year and a half ago, said they not only provide entertainment for regular customers but also attract new ones.

“I started it because there was not enough open mics and I just wanted more,” Haydon said. “We do it every other Monday and the Mondays when there is no comedy, there is a totally huge difference between how many people are here.”

Haydon, who is a comedian himself, said he loves hearing other comedians try out new material and develop their own unique style.

“It is refreshing to hear new stuff that you have never heard before and if it works, it is good,” Haydon said.

Fresno State alumnus Eric Delgado hangs out at Groggs from time to time and loves the fact that they have started comedy nights. Having been to several shows in the past, he has developed a certain taste in comedians: a comedian that doesn’t just tells jokes, but one that gets the audience involved.

“I don’t want to hear some guy just telling jokes,” said Delgado, who graduated from Fresno State with a bachelor’s degree in marketing in 2007. “I mean yeah, the jokes are good, but I like when they can get the audience involved, just a connection with people.”
For Fresno State graduate student Vanessa Cregar, the only thing she expected from the comedians was to make her laugh so hard that her lungs started to hurt and her eyes teared up.

“I haven’t been to a local comedy show before, but I am easily entertained, it is easy to make me laugh,” Cregar said.

Headlining the night was Johnny Creal of Modesto.

Creal, who has done shows in Montana, Idaho and Nevada, has been a stand-up comedian for 14 years and has always loved talking about things from his point of view.
“I always observe things differently and I like to talk about the experiences that I have,” Creal said.

Creal’s number one goal when performing is to put on a good show for his audience, get them laughing and keep them laughing even after his performance is over.
“Life is short, you never know how long you are going to get and I just want people to laugh and enjoy the moment,” Creal said.

Katie Eha, another comedian that took the stage, has been performing for five years and feels the biggest challenge is to stay true to yourself, be who you are and never change, even for the comedy itself.

“It is hard sometimes to get through life, and I believe to do comedy you have to be able to laugh at your own life,” Eha said.

People wanting to showcase their skills at Groggs have three minutes, but that limit can easily increase if they are delivering punch lines that keep the audience involved and begging for more. Veteran comedians, or those who have been at the craft for a number of years, start off with 10 minutes.

The comedy shows take place from 9 to 10:30 p.m. every other Monday at Groggs Traditional Irish Pub on the northeast corner of Nees and Willow avenues.