Football: SEC stage too much for ‘Dogs

Square Logo BlueIn what seemed to be an almost David versus Goliath matchup, the Bulldogs entered Saturday’s contest as a heavy underdog. Trying to hang with a “big dog” from the SEC conference, the ‘Dogs needed to play a near perfect game to compete with No. 17 Ole Miss.

The first quarter did not start how the ‘Dogs hoped it would. Communication seemed to be the biggest struggle. From missing a guy on a punt formation to getting a “too many men” penalty on defense, things started sloppy for the ‘Dogs.

Before they could even blink, the Rebels had jumped out to a commanding 28-0 lead in the first quarter. Thanks to four consecutive drives of over 50 yards totaling a combined seven minutes, the ‘Dogs were quickly in a big hole.

The ‘Dogs had no answer for the Rebels’ aerial attack. Ole Miss quarterback Chad Kelly was nearly perfect in the first quarter, totaling 227 yards on 13-of-16 pass attempts with three touchdowns.

The first sign of life for the ‘Dogs came halfway into the second quarter. Senior defensive back Shannon Edwards picked off a Ryan Buchanan pass for his first career interception and returned it 56 yards for a touchdown to put the ‘Dogs on the board.

“When I intercepted it, it was like a dream running down the sideline,” Edwards said. “For my first career interception to be a pick six at Ole Miss, an SEC football team, it was a dream.”

The Rebels, however, would quickly answer back going, 75 yards on eight plays in just 2:30 to get into the end zone, expanding their lead back to 28 at 35-7.

True freshman Chason Virgil quickly had an answer for the ‘Dogs offensively on their next drive. Virgil seemed to spark the ‘Dogs as they were finally able to move the ball efficiently. He marched the ‘Dogs down the field on a 10-play drive, going 7-for-7 to end the half. With time expiring, Virgil found junior Josiah Blandin on a quick slant from 9-yards out as the half ended 35-14.

Going into the second half with some momentum, the ‘Dogs looked to continue their offensive efficiency but were quickly stopped on three plays. However, that is when the ‘Dogs caught their first big break of the game. After Ole Miss defensive back Carlos Davis mishandled the ball, junior linebacker Brandon Hughes pounced on the fumbled punt return, the ‘Dogs were in business offensively starting at the Ole Miss 17-yard line.

But the good fortune did not last long. Just two plays later, Virgil was picked off by linebacker C.J. Johnson who returned the ball 70 yards down to the Fresno State 20-yard line. Ole Miss would then use just under two minutes before they put the ball into the end zone once again, expanding their lead to 42-14.

Towards the end of the third quarter, the ‘Dogs were able to get the ball moving down the field again as Virgil found an open Marteze Waller and the senior running back found the end zone for a seven-yard score. That would be the last time the ‘Dogs were able to put points up on the board.

Ole Miss would outscore the ‘Dogs 38-7 in the second half in route to their commanding win, 73-21.

“We played an excellent football team in Ole Miss,” head coach Tim DeRuyter said. “Give them credit, they are coached very well.”

Virgil finished the day with 140 yards passing on 12-of-18 attempts for two touchdowns. Waller led the run game for Fresno State with 91 yards on a career-high 28 carries, also adding a receiving touchdown.

Next up for the ‘Dogs will be the Utes of Utah as the ‘Dogs welcome the No. 21 team to Bulldog Stadium for the return of the blackout game. Game time is set for Saturday at 7:30 p.m.