Alpha Gamma Rho suspended for hazing, alcohol to minors

Alpha Gamma Rho, a­Fresno State fraternity, has lost its affiliation with the university for two years after an investigation found evidence of hazing and providing alcohol to minors, according to University Communications.

The investigation began after complaints alleging noise and property damage with use of firearms during the spring 2015 semester.

The review was then augmented to include investigation of an allegation of possible hazing during new member recruitment and initiation, University Communication’s statement read.

Although Dean of Students and Fresno State Police Department determined that no individual student actions would be taken, the Student Involvement Center decided suspension was appropriate for the organization. ­

“It’s unfortunate when we have to suspend or expel any group for inappropriate actions, but it is our responsibility to protect our students from harm,” Dr. Frank Lamas, vice president for student affairs and enrollment management. ­“Greek life enhances the college experience when chapters live by their founding principles and philanthropic actions for greater good.”

As of June, the chapter has lost all privileges as a Fresno State organization for including participating in recruitment activities, greek life, governing council activities, utilizing campus facilities and accessing funding from campus for any organization activities.

“The sanctions are intended to be educational, and to allow Alpha Gamma Rho members an opportunity to reflect upon and learn from their actions,” the statement reads.

Alpha Gamma Rho may seek a review the suspension at the end of the next spring semester, which can result in early restoration of their status.

“In order to restore recognition status and all accompanying privileges, the fraternity will be expected to complete requirements, including developing and implementing an approved plan for hazing education of all chapter members, social probation from hosting any type of social events until recognition is restored and development of a “good neighbor” policy,” the statement reads.

Alpha Gamma Rho is the fifth fraternity currently disaffiliated with the university, including ­Theta Chi which lost affiliation in 2012 following the death of Philip Dhanens, a freshman pledge, and Phi Gamma Delta, which was also disaffiliated after an alcohol-related death.

Neither the Interfraternity Council nor Alpha Gamma Rho officers responded to request for comment.