Gun violence isn’t going to solve itself

It’s senseless. It’s senseless and it needs to stop. We can no longer sit idly by and watch as our society shoots itself to death while still maintaining that the Founding Fathers intended the broken system we have today.

By now, everyone is probably already aware of the horrific shooting that happened in Virginia on Wednesday. Two journalists — a television news woman and her cameraman — were shot to death on live television by a disgruntled former coworker.

The sick man also strapped himself up with a GoPro and got a first-person account of his monstrous crime to post on his social media account.

The media will twist this into a simple case of workplace violence. But how long can we let these heinous murders continue?

“Obama is coming for our guns,” said gun nuts everywhere.

President Barack Obama hasn’t, and isn’t, coming for your guns. But someone should. It should be regarded as a matter of national security that guns be greatly regulated to prevent people with murderous intent from carrying out their crime.

An arguably more important amendment, the First Amendment, has a wide variety of regulations. No, you may not just say what you want because the First Amendment says so.

Luckily we’ve had judges who didn’t mind risking backlash for regulating speech in this country. You may not threaten to kill someone, you may not yell fire if there is no fire and and you may not incite violence while leading an angry mob.

Therefore, you may not own a gun just “because the founding fathers said so.” No. This attitude has to stop.

Mother Jones did a study on 62 cases of mass shootings from 1982 to 2012. The study found that more than 75 percent of the guns the killers used were obtained legally.

The Founding Fathers didn’t intend the Second Amendment to be used so that more than 75 percent of mass shootings would be done by someone with lawfully-owned guns.

There are a number of websites that track gun violence in the United States. The website gunviolencearchive.org has us listed at 8,539 gun-related deaths as of 7 p.m. Thursday. That’s just for 2015. On top of that, gun injuries this year are at 17,391. Only 783 of all the shootings can be attributed to self defense and 1,225 were accidental.

Mass shootings, which the website has listed at 221 for the year, have become so common that The Washington Post ran a story titled “We’re now averaging more than one mass shooting per day in 2015.”

With 783 out of 25,930 deaths or injuries this year, the argument that “more gun laws won’t stop killers from being killers” isn’t a valid one. Just because people kill doesn’t mean we should enable them to do it with ease.

The Second Amendment was made to prevent oppression by a corrupt government, not so we could shoot our fellow man because of passion, rage or mental illness.

Are shootings now the easiest way to garner public attention?

The way America gives so much of these shootings on television, why is there not more outrage about the cause?

Seventeen children die at Sandy Hook Elementary, and the only response the nation addresses is “Don’t take the guns that killed our children!”

We need to get our priorities in order.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• L

L84CaboAug 30, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Dear CSU Fresno Parents: You might want to see if you can’t get some or all of your money back. It appears as if the education your children are getting…sucks.

CantbelieveyouthinkthisAug 30, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Anti gun articles running info from anti gun sources is as worthless as pro gun articles running info from pro gun sources when trying to prove a point to the other side.

Get better info because we are in no way shape or form having a mass shooting every day. That isn’t just stupid, that is Kim Kardashin running for president stupid.

John PaschkeAug 30, 2015 at 4:13 am

“The way America gives so much of these shootings on television”

Editorial Board, get back to English class.

• K

Kdf82Aug 30, 2015 at 1:41 am

This article is senseless… You lost me at the founding fathers and that most of the guns used in mass shootings were acquired legally.. “NOT” so your facts there and elsewhere are fatally flawed. Freedom isn’t free but government handouts to millions of lazy crooks are.

Until the very code of genetics within our species prevents all the motivations to be as destructive as the episodes you quoted, homo sapiens will kill, and destroy. Stop playing into the progressive agenda to disarm the law abiding. You’re obviously too high on the demokrat kool-aid for clear thought. I hope you didn’t pay good money for the lack of education displayed in this article.

Guns are no more responsible for the death of your fellow humans than chainsaws or automobiles. So how many more senseless articles that completely miss the root cause of what is wrong with our very fabric of society and leave the implements of freedom alone. To address your plea, YES get your priorities in order and stop spewing this dribble.. And to your point about the 2nd Amendment, after our current corrupt government gets all the guns the worst fears of our founding fathers will be realized.

I saw a movie once where only the government and police had guns.. It’s called Schindler’s List

ArondosAug 30, 2015 at 1:26 am

Making good people defenseless won’t make bad people harmless