Fresno State President Joseph Castro greets parents of the incoming students moving into the student dorms, Friday, Aug. 21, 2015. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

A Decade’s Lost Tradition

Fresno State is kicking off the school year by reviving the New Student Convocation welcoming tradition.

All-new incoming freshmen, transfer and graduate students will be greeted into the university by faculty, staff, administrators and current students on Monday to mark the beginning of their educational journey.

“We really want to make this a very welcoming event for our students,” said Jessica Medina, the project coordinator. “We want to kick the year off right with the New Student Convocation to get students excited about their time here at Fresno State.”

The tradition had a decade-long suspension but is now being restored by President Joseph Castro and Vice President of Student Affairs Frank Lamas, said Medina.

Doors are set to open in the Save Mart Center at 2 p.m. when new students will be received by current students and Fresno State personnel.

“We are inviting the entire campus, anyone that is wanting to join is welcome to come and join this event,” said Medina. “All of our faculty, staff and everyone that’s coming is going to be a part of our welcoming line.”

The only thing students need to join the event is their student I.D. card. The day of the event parking enforcement will be relaxed in the Save Mart Center area, said Medina

The program will start at 3 p.m. when the Bulldog Marching Band and other student group will provide entertainment and several guest speakers will address the students including President Joseph Castro and Associated Students, Inc. President Abigail Hudson.

Following the convocation, a Bulldog Bash after-party will begin at 4 p.m. Students will have the opportunity to receive a T-shirt, enter to win goodies, have a blast with inflatables, and boogie to the music.

Fresno State will be hosting numerous welcome week events. To see the full list visit to the Fresno State website.