Fresno State senior pitcher Garrett Mundell sets up to release a pitch during Tuesday’s nonconference matchup with Cal State Northridge. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

Baseball: ‘Dogs edge Matadors in extra innings on International Night

Fresno State senior pitcher Garrett Mundell sets up to release a pitch during Tuesday's nonconference matchup with Cal State Northridge. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

The Fresno State baseball team improved its position in the Mountain West Conference Tuesday night, with a 4-3 win in extra innings against Cal State Northridge at Beiden Field.

But the Matadors came in to Beiden Field and gave the Bulldogs a run for their money, engaging Fresno State in its longest match of the season, both in innings and in time.

Korby Batesole ended the game in the 16th inning with a walkoff single and the game finally ended shortly after midnight.

The ‘Dogs trailed early in Tuesday’s game, when junior infielder Yusuke Akitoshi blasted a two-run shot to give the Matadors a 2-0 lead.

Fresno State infielder Kevin Viers answered in the bottom of the sixth with his own two-run homer to give the ‘Dogs a 3-2 lead. The home run was the seventh of the year for Viers.

The ‘Dogs kept the lead until top of the ninth, when the Matadors advanced a runner to third base on a wild pitch and then tied the game on an errant throw by catcher Taylor Ward.

More than five hours after the first pitch, only a few die-hard fans remained in the stands.

Senior Garrett Mundell started on the mound for the ‘Dogs and pitched in 3 2/3 innings with four strikeouts.

Dominic Topoozian earned the win with three innings pitched and four strikeouts.

The ‘Dogs came into Tuesday’s game tied with New Mexico for third place in the Mountain West standings.

With two weeks left until the Mountain West Tournament, the ‘Dogs and the Lobos are losing sight of second place San Diego State, who won Tuesday to improve to 18-10 in the conference.

Nevada (21-6) has already clinched first place in the Mountain West.

The ‘Dogs will conclude the regular season at home with a three-game set against New Mexico in a series that could determine the final Mountain West standings.

But first the ‘Dogs will travel to Reno to face UNLV for a three-game series, starting Friday.