Wheels-off: Fresno State designates no-skate-zones

In an attempt to prevent injuries, Fresno State has designated several no-skate-zones on campus known as “wheels-off” areas.

Freshman Jami Kline was injured last fall in an on-campus accident involving a skateboarder. She said she had to spend her morning at the Student Health Center and could not make it to her class.

Kline said that she did not even see the other student when she was crossing the street to head to class in the Social Science Building.

“She felt really bad about it,” Kline said. “Even when we went to the Student Health Center, she waited for me to make sure that everything was OK.”

Kline said that many students are distracted while walking, listening to music, or texting, and that many students are unable to hear things around them.

Lisa Kao, manager of the environmental health safety, risk management and sustainability office at Fresno State, said the purpose of the wheels-off areas is to increase pedestrian and building safety on campus. Kao said that it applies not only to skateboarders but to all wheeled devices on campus.

“Individuals utilizing a wheeled device must get off the device and walk when in a location identified as a wheels-off area,” Kao said.

Kao said that the wheels-off policy has been in place for almost 20 years, but in the near future stenciled “wheels off” messages will be installed in order to bring more awareness to this policy.

“I feel scared walking when people are on their skateboards,” Kline said. “They are pretty fast, and they come out of nowhere.”

Kline said that having areas where people are instructed to get off of wheeled devices is important for the safety of students who are walking to class.

“Ever since that incident with me, I am aware at all times,” Kline said. “I look at every direction around me.”

$100
$500

$100
$500

Anon UserApr 15, 2015 at 1:46 pm

It would have been helpful to have a link to a map of “wheels off” areas on campus; otherwise this article is kind of uninformative.