Vintage Days celebrates 41 years

Vintage Days is back for its 41st year as Fresno State’s largest festival and more than 50,000 people are expected to crowd Fresno State’s Maple Mall for the three-day event running Friday through Sunday.

The student-planned event is a Fresno State staple ingrained in the university’s history — from its inaugural year in 1974 to this year. Expect the usual: good food, myriad vendor booths, beer and wine tasting and live local entertainment.

The free festival will feature 150 different types of craft vendors, 30 student organizations selling food at booths and 15 student organizations running game booths throughout the weekend.

“We are doing a sidewalk art contest that is happening on Saturday morning,” said Vintage Days adviser, Josh Edrington.

He said that they are putting more of an emphasis on the arts this year by featuring glassblowing demonstrations at the Conley Art Building on campus. The schedule of events can be located on the Vintage Days page on Fresno State’s website.

Additional third-party vendors are scheduled to attend, including Dutch Bros., Jay’s Specialty Ice Cream and others offering cinnamon rolls, funnel cakes, corn dogs and shaved ice.

“There will be a world record attempt on Friday for the largest video game controller,” Edrington said. “Anybody is welcome to come and participate in that.”

Elizabeth “Ludie” Olenchalk, student director for Vintage Days, stressed the music the event offers.
“We also have different bands coming out, and one band everyone is excited for is Whiskey Row,” Olenchalk said. “They are kind of well-known in the Valley.”

Olenchalk said she is excited to be part of something that shows off to the community how great Fresno State is.

Other types of events that are scheduled during Vintage Days include an outdoor screening of “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1” on Friday at dusk. There will be a jungle-themed kids zone as well as a petting zoo.

Olenchalk said that they will be giving away Iggy Azalea tickets as prizes for the Vintage Challenge. The challenge, similar to the Amazing Race television series, consists of several different obstacles for participants throughout Vintage Days. ­Last year, she said, they gave out backstage passes to a Blake Shelton concert.

Edrington said that Vintage Days has been a huge tradition for the students on campus and members of surrounding communities.

“It’s the 41st year that the event has happened, so it’s the one time we get to celebrate, not only departments, but student organizations coming together for a collective cause and showcasing the best of Fresno State,” Edrington said.