Stop the Silence Campaign raises awareness against sexual assault

The Stop the Silence Campaign visited the Fresno State this week to raise awareness on sexual assault.

Presented by victimology students from the department of criminology, the campaign screened “The Hunting Ground” on Friday, a documentary about rape on U.S. college campuses.

The four day campaign from Tuesday to Friday encouraged students to pledge to speak up against sexual assault.

“This is a very special occasion to get together,” said Fresno State President Joseph Castro, who attended the screening alongside students and faculty.

Amber Menagh, who is a victim and survivor of sexual assault, shared her story at the film screening. She is also part of the Made For Them organization, an advocacy group against human trafficking.

During the panel discussion, Menagh said that the rate of human trafficking is growing nationally, as well as on college campuses. She said society needs to open their eyes to the entirety of sexual assault cases, not only on college campuses, but students in elementary schools and all through adulthood.

Jennifer Curwick, a campus police officer and self-defence teacher, gave some tips on how to prevent sexual assault.

“Make sure you watch your drink,” said Curwick, who was giving advice to students who attend frequent parties at fraternity houses.

Laura Adams, coordinator for Crime Survivors Safety and Justice, noted the importance of communication about sexual assault.

“Most people don’t like to talk about it and don’t like discussing it,” Adams said.

She said that sexual assault is a very touchy subject for most people, because it is personal, but that it is important to understand that sexual assault can happen to anyone — male or female. She said that people do not think that sexual assault can happen on their college campus, but it can.

Sexual Assault Awareness month concludes at Fresno State on Wednesday April 29 with Denim Day, which encourages students and faculty to wear jeans in support of survivors of sexual assault.

“If you see an incident, step up,” Adams said. “Don’t be afraid to speak up, to act, to help that person that’s being attacked.”