Electric vehicle charging stations coming to Fresno State

Fresno State will hold a ribbon cutting ceremony Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. to celebrate the opening of six electric vehicle charging (EVC) stations on campus.

The stations, which are the first of their kind at the university, will be available for the public in Fresno State’s Lot P2 located near the intersection of Woodrow Avenue and Matoian Way, west of the Save Mart Center.

Drivers of electric vehicles will be able to use the four Level 2 stalls for a two- to three-hour charge or the two quick charge stalls for a full charge in 20 to 30 minutes.

The project was launched a year ago when the school received a grant of $397,000 from the California Energy Commission.

“The university is moving toward renewable energy, towards managing waste. That’s been going on for several years,” said Dr. Criss Wilhite, professor and founder of the Applied Behavior Analysis Programs on campus. “This project is important because there’s a real dearth of charging stations in the Central Valley.”

Project manager Devon Fullner brought together five student interns who were involved in all aspects of the project.

In addition to helping with construction and design, the students developed the EVC station website, brochures and signage.

Fresno State student Akin Abode helped with advertising and promoting the project.

Abode said the project is important for Fresno State and the Central Valley.

“Hopefully Fresno can get more charging stations, and that will influence dealers,” Abode said. “If they don’t have electric cars at their dealerships, they might transfer, and we will be more green. Because in Fresno the air quality is bad, and that would help that.”

The cost for charging at the station at Fresno State will be $1 per hour.

Drivers will be required to move their car as soon as it is charged.