Denim Days: ‘Jeans are not an alibi for rape’

To raise awareness for sexual assault victims, the Fresno State Women’s Resource Center teamed up with the campus community for Denim Day, a national day helping to share the story of a rape victim who was assaulted for wearing tight jeans.

Concluding Sexual Assault Awareness Month on April 29, Denim Day is a nationally recognized observance, based in response to a 1992 Italian Supreme Court ruling.

The Italian court ruled in favor of a male driving instructor, overturning a guilty verdict of rape by a lower court and finding the man not guilty. The basis for the decision was that the 18-year-old victim wore tight jeans, and that because they were tight-fitting, even though she may have been forcibly coerced into removing the jeans, she had agreed to engage in consensual sex.

In 2008, the decision was overturned once again, but Denim Day was born as a protest, with women from the Italian Parliament holding placards reading “jeans, an alibi for rape.”

Ana Cisneros, a member of the Women’s Resource Center, said that Denim Day is a great way for students to help spread the word on sexual assault awareness.

“We’re here to educate students on the reason behind Denim Day and why April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month,” Cisneros said. “Students can come and show their support by writing on the jeans with messages or their names in support of the victims.”

Lying on the table next to Cisneros was an array of jeans with stories and signatures of campus supporters.

Handing out small paper printouts of the story behind Denim Day, Cisneros said what you wear does not give someone consent to be sexually assaulted.

“This semester, we also have buttons,” Cisneros said pointing to a pin on her shirt that read, “Ask me why I’m wearing jeans?”

She said that numerous offices on campus have reached out to the center to show their support, including Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro.

Fresno State psychology major Courtney Mukai said she enjoyed the solidarity and symbolism of the event.

“If you know what this cause is about, then you might as well stand up for it,” Mukai said. “We need to stand up for it, showing Fresno State that that situation was unacceptable.”

Mukai said that Denim Day is an easy cause to support because most people wear jeans and can understand that anyone can be attacked — anyone can be a victim. But she said they shouldn’t have to be scared ­to go outside or walk around at night because of any article of clothing.

“We need to do something about it,” Mukai said. “We need to stand up for women and against sexual assault.”