Fresno State junior Dylan Lee delivers a pitch during Sunday’s 9-4 loss to San Diego State. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

Baseball: ‘Dogs fall to Golden Bears on the road

The Fresno State baseball team was on the road against the California Golden Bears Tuesday night, losing 4-1 to give the Bulldogs an overall record of 21-24 on the season.

The loss keeps the ‘Dogs (11-10) in fourth place in the Mountain West Conference behind New Mexico (13-8).

Freshman Ricky Thomas made the start on the mound for the ‘Dogs. He lasted three innings while giving up three runs, two of them earned, with four hits and one recorded strikeout. Anthony Arias came in to relieve Thomas in the top of the fourth, lasting another three innings facing nine batters, giving up no hits and no walks in the outing but allowing one run to score.

Jake Shull and Garrett Mundell would close out the last two innings of the game for the ‘Dogs, giving up one run on no hits and no walks combined between the two pitchers. No Fresno State pitcher gave up a walk in the game.

Cal struck early in the game and put the ‘Dogs away in similar fashion by scoring three of their four runs in the first two innings of the game. No Cal player had more than one hit or one RBI in the game.

The ‘Dogs had similar production issues at the plate, as they recorded just three hits in the game. Fresno State was led by left fielder Taylor Tempel with one hit and one run, and catcher Taylor Ward had one hit and one RBI in the game. The run came in the top of the ninth for the ‘Dogs and it wasn’t enough to ignite a comeback.

The ‘Dogs will continue this road trip at San Jose State (4-17) Saturday at 7 p.m.