Fresno State first baseman Kevin Viers (right) attempts to tag out a San Diego State base runner during Sunday’s 9-4 loss to the Aztecs. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

Baseball: Bulldogs drop final two to Aztecs

Fresno State first baseman Kevin Viers (right) attempts to tag out a San Diego State base runner during Sunday's 9-4 loss to the Aztecs. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

The Fresno State baseball team went 1-2 over the weekend series against the San Diego State Aztecs, giving up a combined 28 runs in the three games. The ‘Dogs lost the last game of the series Sunday at Beiden Field, 9-4.

The Aztecs got off to a quick start in that game, scoring six runs in the first three innings and never letting the ‘Dogs back into the game. The ‘Dogs first run came in the bottom of the sixth when Austin Guibor singled to right field, scoring Medrano.

“We played some outstanding defense — we had four great plays today and didn’t make an error,” said Fresno State head coach Mike Batesole. “There were 12 hits and six balls that I counted that were barreled up that were hit hard … but you have five walks or hit batters that scored again. You’re not going to win in this conference if you do that.”

Bulldogs sophomore Jimmy Lambert started the game but lasted only three innings, giving up six runs on seven hits. Dylan Lee provided much needed relief for Lambert, and threw three scoreless innings while allowing just two hits in the frames.

“Jimmy’s got good enough stuff and sometimes I think we trust him more than he does,” added Batesole. “You just have to throw it over the plate.

“This pitching staff is not disciplined. They know what to do, they’ve been coached what to do.”

Bulldogs 3, SDSU 15

Anthony Arias got the start for the ‘Dogs but lasted just four batters before getting replaced by senior William Munro in the first inning. Fresno State used five pitchers in the game, each surrendering at least two runs in the outing.

The Aztecs pulled away quickly with a 3-0 lead in the first inning and kept the throttle on, amassing 10 runs in the fifth and sixth innings combined. ­A grand slam by Brody Westmoreland off Fresno State pitcher Brennon Williams in the sixth inning scored four of the 10 runs.

SDSU starter Mark Seyler (8-2) lasted seven innings giving up one run on three hits to record the win.

Fresno State started to get the bats going late, recording two runs in the eighth behind Taylor Tempel’s second home run of the season, and Manny Argomaniz’s double to send home Jesse Medrano, who had reached base on a single.

Fresno State 5, SDSU 4

Kevin Viers hit a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 10th inning to earn the 5-4 win against the Aztecs Friday night.

The home run was Viers’ sixth of the season, which is second on the team to Taylor Ward’s seven.

“We were going into extras and since I was the leadoff guy, I just wanted to get on for the team — just get on base,” Viers said. “If it happened to be a home run, it just happens sometimes. I just wanted to get the next guy up. Manny was on deck, and I knew he would come up clutch too, if I was on base.”

Jake Shull started on the mound for the ‘Dogs lasting six innings. He allowed three earned runs on seven hits, while striking out six and walking three. Tim Borst came in to relieve Shull and lasted two innings, giving up a run and one hit, while recording two strikeouts. Senior Garrett Mundell came out in the final two innings and provided perfect relief, while striking out five to close out the game.

“Last Sunday that’s exactly what he did too,” Batesole said. “He just stood tall for three innings and said, ‘Here it comes’ and you have to love that when your seniors take control like that. You haven’t seen him pitch with confidence like that his first three years here, and now that confidence is just coming out. You can see it, you can feel it and that’s really fun to have that in a closer.”

The ‘Dogs struck early to the tune of four runs over the first three innings, with a two-out, two-RBI single by Kenny Corey in the bottom of the first. Korby Batesole provided another run in the second inning with his first collegiate home run, while Ryan Dobson hit a sacrifice fly in the third to score Viers.

The ‘Dogs will hit the road and face off against California Tuesday night at 7 p.m. before heading off to conference rival San Jose State for a three game series starting Friday.