Fresno State senior forward Alex Sheedy (center) was named the Mountain West Co-Player of the Year on Monday. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

Women’s Basketball: Sheedy, Fox, Faz Davalos pick up MW honors

Fresno State senior forward Alex Sheedy was named the Mountain West Co-Player of the Year, the conference announced Monday.

She is the fourth Bulldog to win the honor since 2006. She shares the honor with Colorado State’s Gritt Ryder.

Sheedy was fifth in the Mountain West in scoring (15.8 points per game) and was 10th in rebounds and steals (6.7 and 1.7 per game, respectively). She made 40.9 percent of her shots and was 81.9 percent from the free-throw line.

She led the ‘Dogs in scoring in 12 of 18 conference matches and is tied for third in the Mountain West in double-doubles (five).

In addition, Fresno State senior guard Raven Fox was named the Sixth Player of the Year. She came off the bench in 13 of 18 games for the Bulldogs and averaged 24.7 minutes and 7.8 points per game. With a Mountain West-high 43 steals, she was also named to the conference’s All-Defensive team, the third straight time a Bulldog received that honor.

Center Bego Faz Davalos blocked her way to the Mountain West All-Freshman team after taking three blocking records. She posted her 53rd block of the season on Feb. 14, which broke the previous conference mark. She finished the season with 70, averaging 3.9 per game.

Each of those numbers are the most that a freshman has posted in conference play.