Fresno State sophomore running back James Noble III heads upfield after catching a pass during the Bulldogs’ 12th spring practice on March 22. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

Spring football: Waller, ground game aim to build on strong 2014 performance

Fresno State sophomore running back James Noble III heads upfield after catching a pass during the Bulldogs' 12th spring practice on March 22. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

Fresno State’s running game enters the 2015 season as arguably the team’s most notable strength.

This year’s backfield, headlined by 1,000-plus-yard rusher Marteze Waller, also includes fifth-year senior Malique Micenheimer, and new faces in sophomore James Noble III and freshmen Dejonte O’Neal and Chris Molinga.

The Bulldogs have engaged in a dozen spring practices throughout the month of March, and offensive coordinator Dave Schramm likes where the stable of running backs stands and the way the backs are competing this spring — despite the room for growth.

“They’ve been doing good,” Schramm said. “But they’re all new guys pretty much, so there’s still a lot to learn. Since it’s spring ball, there are a lot of plays that we’re trying to get in, so there’s a lot to digest, but they’re doing a nice job.”

The ‘Dogs will rely primarily on Waller to lead the ground attack. The Georgia native carried the ball 225 times last season for 1,368 yards (6.1 yards per carry) and 11 touchdowns while racking up second-team All-Mountain West accolades.

“He’s a proven guy for us,” Schramm said. “We know what he can do, now we need to find out what the other guys can do.”

The coaching staff has not permitted Waller to participate in contact drills to prevent the risk of an injury. The star senior running back is forced to look on from the sideline when his teammates battle it out in live scrimmages.

“It hurts,” Waller said. “I want to be in there, but they’re keeping me out.”

Waller, among the eldest of the group, has noticed improvement from the younger backs as they continue to grind it out in these spring ball sessions and has confidence in their abilities as they have flashed at times.

“We’re getting better as the days go by, and the young guys are starting to catch on with the plays so we’re doing all right,” Waller said of the running back corps.

Waller enters his final season with one thing in mind.

“I just want to help the team get another championship,” he said.

Micenheimer, the only other Bulldog with in-game experience, is also not taking part in contact activities until he returns from his shoulder injury he suffered early last season that required surgery. The shoulder surgery forced him to miss the remainder of the season, but he was granted an additional year of eligibility by the Mountain West through a medical hardship waiver.

Last year, Waller and Josh Quezada split carries and served as the 1-2 punch in the backfield. With Quezada having graduated and moved on, the spot for a backup to Waller is open. Schramm said he is not certain on who will serve as Waller’s complement, but whoever emerges from the competition will have an opportunity to do so.

“When we get Mice[enheimer] back, he’ll be another guy in the mix,” Schramm said. “Chris Molinga is showing some good things and James Noble is showing some good things. The thing about a one-back offense is there’s only one guy playing most of the time.

“We do have some two-back sets if guys can prove that they can do that so we’ll see. That’s what competition is for, right?”

The Bulldogs have two practices remaining until the Spring Showcase set for Saturday, March 28 at 10:30 a.m. at Bulldog Stadium. The event, which is free and open to the public, will feature scrimmages and live drills.