Fresno State junior catcher Paige Gumz (35) prepares to run home during last weekend’s 4-1 win over Cal Poly. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

Softball: Fresno State Classic ends in Bulldogs’ favor

Fresno State junior catcher Paige Gumz (35) prepares to run to home during Sunday's 4-1 win over Cal Poly. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)
Fresno State junior catcher Paige Gumz (35) prepares to run to home during Sunday’s 4-1 win over Cal Poly. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

The Fresno State softball team won four out of five games at its hometown Fresno State Classic after a 4-1 win over the Cal Poly Mustangs on Sunday at Margie Wright Diamond.

The tournament wins move the Bulldogs to 18-10 on the season heading into conference play on Friday.

The ‘Dogs began scoring quickly, after senior center fielder Brenna Moss scored their first run on a sacrifice fly to center field from Malia Rivers in the bottom of the first inning. Fresno State third baseman Katie Castellon hit her second-career double in the bottom of the fourth. She was replaced with pinch runner Brooke Coates, who scored alongside Moss for the second and third runs of the game.

Fresno State’s fourth run came from a bases-loaded walk to right fielder Michelle Solomon that scored Castellon in the sixth inning.

However, despite the wins, Fresno State head coach Trisha Ford said the ‘Dogs could have produced more at the plate.

“Wins are always good,” Ford said. “We will take it, but we have to put a team away. We left 10 runners on base, mostly in the first three to four innings, and we had bases loaded, so we have to do a better job. We had very unfocused at-bats with runners in scoring position, and we’re about to start conference, play, so we have to do better at having good at-bats.”

Pitcher Jill Compton hurled a complete game in her 21st start this season. She allowed five hits and held Cal Poly to one run.

“We were mixing it up with Paige [Gumz], and coach was calling a great game,” Compton said.

Sophomore left fielder Kierra Willis saved the game in the seventh inning, when she threw a Cal Poly runner out at second base to prevent any Mustang momentum.

“I was starting to get a little tired, but when Kierra made that amazing play in the outfield, that pumped me up, which got me to close the game off,” Compton said.

The ‘Dogs will visit the Colorado State Rams in their first Mountain West series of the season from Friday until Sunday.