School aims to raise entrance requirements

More than 400 freshmen and about 65 local transfer students could be denied enrollment to Fresno State in 2016 if the school implements a plan aimed at raising entrance requirements to offset a lack of state funding.

The impaction plan, which was outlined at a public hearing Monday, calls for an enrollment reduction at Fresno State, because the campus doesn’t have the financial ability to accept the increasing number of applicants to the university.

In the first of three public hearings at Fresno State, a panel of school administrators voiced concerns over the effects of the significant enrollment increase during the past five years.

“Demand for admission to Fresno State is almost double that of the CSU average,” said Dr. Frank Lamas, vice president for student affairs. “We believe that with impaction we will see an improved student academic profile, retention and graduation rates of our students.”

If the plan is approved, Fresno State will adjust admission requirements for all applicants. One of the biggest proposed changes is an increase in the school’s eligibility index, a combination of test scores and GPA used to determine eligibility. It will contrast longstanding requirements that guaranteed local students admission if they had a GPA above 3.0, regardless of ACT or SAT scores.

Freshmen students who barely meet the current minimum requirements to attend Fresno State will have the opportunity to attend the university after completing community college, according to the plan.

A borderline transfer student may not be eligible for some impacted programs, such as nursing, but can choose other health-related majors. Additionally, transfer students will be advised to retake failed courses at community college before transferring, as outlined in the plan.

“With about 1 percent annual funding each year from the state, it’s not enough for our growth,” said Angel Sanchez, associate vice president for the Office of Institutional Effectiveness. “We can’t meet the demand that comes to Fresno State.”

Sanchez said the proposed enrollment reduction will encourage students to attend community college first so they can be more prepared before transferring to universities.

Pending CSU approval, Fresno State plans to implement the changes in fall 2016.

The final hearing on impaction will be held Friday at 2 p.m. in the North Gym at Fresno State. ­The public is encouraged to attend.