Remembering Cesar Chavez

Cesar Chavez’s legacy and impact on the Valley were celebrated Tuesday in front of his statue in Fresno State’s Peace Garden.

Hundreds gathered to listen to former Fresno State professor Dr. Lea Ybarra, the keynote speaker for the event. She quoted a letter written by Martin Luther King, Jr. to Chavez, reminding students of the importance of community solidarity.

“Our separate struggles are really one. A struggle for freedom, for dignity and for humanity,” she said.

Ybarra said that the letter encapsulated the farm workers movement, the Chicano movement, the civil rights movement and “everything that we have and we are still fighting for.”

The event also included presentations of the American, Mexican and UFW flags. Danzantes de Aztlan and the Fresno State mariachi band also participated in the ceremony.

Dr. Kapoor and Fresno State first lady Mary Castro participated in the garlanding ceremony that recognized the achievements done by the former UFW leader. Students and community members were invited to place flowers beside the foot of Chavez’s statue.