Planet Fitness controversy illustrates the need to address a bigger issue

Recently there’s been an uproar about a gym that kicked a woman out who complained about a transgendered woman being allowed to use the women’s locker room — because she said that the person looked like a man.

Transgendered issues aren’t uncommon, and we need to address them if we’re ever to make our society more inclusive.

The woman who complained, Yvette Cormier, first complained at the front desk about a man in the women’s locker room.

The person at the front desk told her that the gym’s official policy allowed people to choose which locker room they used according to “their sincere, self-reported gender identity.”

Appalled, Cormier called the Planet Fitness corporate office and was told the same thing after complaining again.

Planet Fitness canceled Cormier’s membership, not because of her complaint, but because she chose to take matters into her own hands and start telling everyone she could that the gym allowed men into the women’s locker room.

The gym has stated that her actions caused disturbances that violated her membership policy. Who knows if that’s true. It’s possible they were simply annoyed with her.

It’s hard to gage if the response by the gym was called for unless we were there to see what was happening.

If she was out there in stereotypical protest mode with a megaphone shouting about injustice, then the gym was probably right to cancel her membership. If she was respectfully telling people with whom she was in the locker room, then the gym was in the wrong.

It was probably somewhere in between. But this incident brings equality and gender issues back into national spotlight.

Right now we’re incapable of seeing what the right answer is — much like our parents had trouble coming to terms with gay and lesbian issues.

It might take a generation to fix, but we shouldn’t wait a generation to begin addressing the issue of integrating transgendered people into a society that hasn’t quite figured how to handle them.

Even Cormier said she didn’t know how to react.

Cormier told CNN, “This is all new to me. I didn’t go out to specifically bash a transgender person that day. I was taken aback by the situation.”

It’s a completely honest and fair response to a situation that there isn’t a clear solution for.

What Cormier saw was a man in the women’s locker room and couldn’t believe that she was told that it was official policy to allow it. Then she became too vocal for the company’s liking and they booted her, which is fair for a company trying to run a business.

We need to be focusing on the institutional segregation of genders as a whole to start dealing with this issue.

It’s not just going to go away, and the only way I can see to begin tackling this problem is doing away with the time-honored divide between men and women.

How would a business react if straight men caused a scene about allowing gay men into the men’s locker room? The fact that they’re gay doesn’t change the fact that they’re men. So how is this situation different?

It really isn’t. Why should anyone have to be labeled and categorized into comfortable groups — even if what’s labeling you is that you were born with a penis? It shouldn’t. You should be allowed to be who you were born inside.

Our society is accustomed to two ways of doing things. And really, human beings are far more complicated than just seeing things in black and white.

We shouldn’t conform. We should be who we choose, or who we were born to be — inside and out.

But this doesn’t help how we deal with it in businesses or even in public restrooms.

The way we can start addressing the problems of tomorrow is by making changes today. We need to change the way we look at gender, even though changes won’t be popular or easy.

And these aren’t even problems we should shovel off onto our children, we should address it now so our kids will have it figured out.

We need to do away with a type of segregation our society has accepted; our children and grandchildren will be the ones appalled by how backward our ways were. We need to desegregate bathrooms and locker rooms, even if that means we’re designing the buildings differently.

Honestly, locker rooms should have partitions or private rooms anyway — rather than a group of people standing as a group under a hose coming out of the wall, or changing in front of each other.

When we have private spaces for individual use, instead of gender separations, these issues will become a thing of the past.

If we didn’t have “men’s” and “women’s” distinctions for facilities, Cormier wouldn’t have been shocked to see a woman she thought was a man in her locker room in the first place.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Sam HillMar 21, 2015 at 1:16 am

Just because there’s a trans-gender living in the Whitehouse doesn’t mean we should all accept it.

• V

VivavoxMar 9, 2015 at 8:19 am

The very least Planet Fitness could have done was post their policy, so the woman could have been forewarned. No one likes being caught off guard.

2.6% of the populace identifies as gay. Even fewer people identify as transgender. While I believe in basic respect for all human beings, why does the 97% have to change?

jotusMar 9, 2015 at 2:36 am

What about the woman’s discomfort? It seems that Planet Fitness didn’t care about the woman. I tell you if a woman who is wanting to be a man used the men’s locker room there would be a similar reaction from the men who are being forced to share a locker room with a woman.

• O

objective thinkerMar 9, 2015 at 3:30 am

You apparently don’t know men. Not real men anyway. lol

jotusMar 9, 2015 at 6:29 am

I am a man, look at the picture. I don’t know any man who would want to have to look at a fat dyke.

• O

objective thinkerMar 9, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Fat dyke? You got issues.

jotusMar 10, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Look, first you attack my masculinity. Then I put up something that sounds macho and you psychoanalyze me without even knowing me. What did I do to deserve to be personally attacked by you???

Dina ChrismasMar 8, 2015 at 11:39 pm

How To Handle Dating When You Have Herpes

http://herpessinglecom.blogspot.com/

hope you can see

• V

VivavoxMar 8, 2015 at 10:13 pm

The problem is that men have not been respectful of women’s bodies i.e. ogling, cat calls, sexual harassment even with our clothes on and in public. Is that going to change in a locker room? No, some men will use the relative privacy of a locker room to take advantage of and overpower a woman. It is a matter of our personal safety. Opening up the locker room to what someone perceives his gender to be will only invite a male perpetrator to misuse the opportunity to be a voyeur, exhibitionist, rapist, etc. Until you can guarantee that won’t happen, I say keep the locker and bathrooms separate.

Mrs. JohnMar 9, 2015 at 12:15 am

I agree with keeping the bathrooms separate, just add a family bathroom that will accommodate individuals who are transgendered.

• R

Rand0MoneMar 9, 2015 at 3:28 am

I agree, and one other thing that places, not only Planet Fitness, should consider is that there already exist cases of videos posted on the internet that were captured via hidden camera, carried into locker rooms by malicious individuals. If the policy of Planet Fitness really IS to simply accept that a man is sincere about his “self-reported gender identity”, they are leaving women vulnerable to sexual predators. Sadly, there is a long history of such behavior among men.
      In my opinion, the woman was correct to express her concerns to other women. It would be negligent of her to remain silent. There are many statistics that demonstrate that a large percentage of transgender people have serious mental and/or emotional issues. According to the CDC, the suicide rate among transgender people is approximately 36 percent, 22 times the rate for the general population. Among the transgender population the rate of HIV infection is almost 6 percent, 10 times greater than the rate among the general population.
      While it is wrong to discriminate against transgender (or any other) people, those kind of statistics indicate profound issues among them as a group, and one should consider the safety of the general population to be at least as important as the fair treatment of any given group of people. Equality and gender issues should not trump safety issues. It seems that Planet Fitness is negligent regarding the overall safety of their customers by having so lax a policy as “their sincere, self-reported gender identity.”

• R

Repainted ThinnerMar 9, 2015 at 3:38 am

Have you ever been to a sauna in Germany? Our saunas and spas are usually clothing optional and unisex. There are as many women as men at any given time, and you don’t see either gender ogling, cat-calling etc.

However, if you walk along a street in Pakistan with your ankles showing, you will be greeted with cat-calls, and even insults.

More things are forbidden, the more enticing they become.

So the real question is – do you want to talibanize the US and turn it in to the next Pakistan, or do you want your kids to grow up civilized?

• V

VivavoxMar 9, 2015 at 8:22 am

No, I have never been to Germany or Pakistan, but I think you have oversimplified the reason for the difference in behavior between the two countries.

• R

Repainted ThinnerMar 9, 2015 at 8:58 am

Then please feel free to correct me. Seeing as I live in one of the above mentioned places and have visited the other, and that you have visited neither, I am sure you have a rich worldview to share.

Joshua LuzaniaMar 20, 2015 at 4:59 pm

It’s not about actual safety, it’s about your own insecurity. If people aren’t paying attention where a man could attack a woman, they could sneak into the ladies locker room and do it regardless of what kind of sign is on the door. You are imagining some strange world in your head where a person who intends to harm a woman is put off by a sign…There is never a guarantee that bad things won’t happen, even with separate bathrooms. It’d be like me being afraid that a black man might mug me in the locker room, so I say keep segregated bathrooms until they can guarantee he won’t. It’s absurd.

• V

VivavoxMar 20, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Presumably, you are speaking as man and do not know what it is like to live as woman in this society. Perhaps instead of addressing female insecurity, you should do something about male aggression and sexual behavior.

Yeah, I understand a sign won’t stop a determined predator. In fact, just such an incident happened in a city near where I live.

However, I still have an expectation of certain privacy and would want to be forewarned that cross-dressers will be using my bathroom. Did Planet Fitness consider that young girls may also be using those locker rooms?

Joshua LuzaniaMar 20, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Presumably, you are speaking as woman and don’t know it is like to live as a man in this society. Perhaps, instead of sounding like a complete moron and thinking that I do not support trying to stop criminal behavior, you should use your brain to understand the other side. I don’t actually believe a policy allowing trans people into the lockers rooms they feel comfortable in will promote or allow people who aren’t already deviants who would commit crimes to suddenly commit crimes.

I understand wanting privacy, personally I’d rather have single person locker rooms, but a private business can do whatever they like. Also, it’s not YOUR bathroom. It is a room in a private business that they can run however they want. They don’t have to inform you personally of their policy about restrooms. Sure there may be young girls in there. There may be young boys in the mens locker room. So no trans men in the mens locker room because they might rape the boys? Do you understand the absurdity of painting entire classes of people with that kind of brush because of your own fears?

• V

VivavoxMar 20, 2015 at 8:03 pm

“it’s about your own insecurity”, “Perhaps, instead of sounding like a complete moron” and “you should use your brain”. Perhaps, you should stop engaging in ad hominem attacks. I spoke of male aggression, and here you are personally insulting me.

“a private business can do whatever they like.” Laws govern private businesses as well.

End of discussion. I refuse to be bullied.

Joshua LuzaniaMar 20, 2015 at 8:15 pm

LOL. You come in here, insult the entire male gender as well as trans people, painting a brush that they are full of dangerous people that can’t be trusted around an environment of women, while simultaneously ignoring that trans men could be in the mens restroom, only thinking about yourself, then you imply I can’t really understand because I’m a male, then you tell me that I’m the bully? Go check yourself. I’m ending the discussion with a self-centered, sexist bigot.

• R

RoseFloridaMar 8, 2015 at 9:49 pm

“Transgendered issues aren’t uncommon…” Really? What is your definition of “common”?