Osher classes provide alternatives for student learning

In an auditorium full of students ages 50 and older, Dr. Bradley Jones held a lecture Thursday on the American Revolution, one of many topics provided through Fresno State Osher classes.

Named after Bernard Osher, a businessman and philanthropist with an interest in education and the arts, the classes provide retired or semiretired adults access to continue their education.

Throughout Jones’ lecture, students interjected thoughts, comments and questions­on the American Revolution.

“I love this,” Jones said of his first Osher class. “They ask lots of questions and are excited and interested. It’s no criticism of Fresno State students, but Osher is just fun.”

Compared to the average college course, students in Osher classes are not required to take exams and are not given grades. Instead, the classes offer older individuals short classes with topics like how to better use iPhones/iPads, the history of Scottish art and architecture, and also death, dying, life and afterlife.

“There’s always a variety in lectures,” Mary Tolle, a 73-year-old Osher student said. “It doesn’t just suit one interest. You have a lot to choose from.”

Tolle said that with many classes to choose from, students could really expand their thinking. Her favorite class so far has been the Osher writing course.

“I live up in the foothills,” Tolle said. “I was coming to classes every day. I told myself, ‘I have to do something else with my retirement besides just taking Osher classes’.”

Apart from short lectures, the classes also give students an opportunity to participate in various field trips provided on and off campus.

Tolle’s husband, Jim Tolle, 76, said he really enjoys Osher field trips, particularly the wine tours.

“I don’t have to drive,” Tolle said. “I can just sit there and enjoy the trip.”

Tolle said that he also likes the new iPad courses because it has taught him how to use his device.

“These classes get us older folks off our big fat duffs,” Tolle said. “It helps us to socialize and learn stuff.”

Osher classes are provided through Fresno State’s Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI), and are accessible each semester for a small fee.