Fresno State senior Michelle Solomon heads towards home base during the Bulldog’s 7-2 win over UCSB during the Fresno State Louisville Slugger Bash on Feb. 27 at Margie Wright Diamond. (Khlarissa Agee/The Collegian)

Softball: History, hitting produced at Judi Garman Classic

Fresno State senior Michelle Solomon heads towards home base during the Bulldog’s 7-2 win over UCSB on Friday at Margie Wright Diamond. (Khlarissa Agee/The Collegian)

The Fresno State women’s softball team took on some of the best teams in the country and lost four out of five games over the weekend, leaving its record at 15-9.

Fresno State 9, Iowa 0

During the first game of the Judi Garman Classic in Fullerton, California, junior Jill Compton threw her first career perfect game against the Hawkeyes on Friday. Compton is the ninth Bulldog to throw a perfect game; the last one was thrown back in 2010 by Mackenzie Oaks. No runners were allowed on base by Compton in the five inning game.

‘Dogs catcher Paige Gumz got the offense going early in the first inning with a home run over center field to claim an early 3-0 lead.

“Jill and Paige did a great job working each other,” said Fresno State head coach Trisha Ford. “Jill had tremendous presence on the mound and was attacking the zone. It was crucial for us to come out and get the first one to set the tone for the weekend.”

All nine runs were scored in the first two innings of the game for Fresno State, and the team coasted to a win off Compton’s pitching the rest of the way.

Fresno State 1, Florida 4

Facing the No. 1 program in the nation, Florida (28-0), proved to be too big a task to overcome in the ‘Dogs first game on Saturday. Hannah Harris (4-1) made the start in the circle for Fresno State and lasted 3 2/3 innings before Kiley Shae Aldridge replaced her in the fourth inning to finish the remainder of the game for Fresno State.

Florida got its lead early in the game with a two home runs in the first inning to jump out to a 3-0 lead. The two longballs in the first were the first Harris has given up all season.

Brenna Moss continued her hitting streak and led the team with two hits in her three at-bats against Gator pitcher Lauren Haeger (11-0) who threw for a complete game on Saturday.

Fresno State 0, Oregon 3

Going up against the No. 2 Oregon (19-3) was a tough matchup for the Dogs’ on Saturday night. Compton drew the start in the circle for the ‘Dogs and struck out seven batters in the outing.

The Ducks scored the first run of the game in the fourth then scored runs in the sixth and seventh innings to finish the game with a 3-0 victory.

Fresno State 3, Baylor 9

Harris drew the start in the circle against the No. 9 Bears in the first game on Sunday. She threw for two innings while giving up five runs before Taylor Langdon replaced her in the third. Langdon lasted two innings and also gave up two runs. Aldridge finished up the last three innings giving up one run on three hits.

Gumz led the way for the ‘Dogs with three hits and one RBI in the game.
Fresno State 1, Arizona 7

Compton got the last start of the tournament Sunday afternoon against the No. 13 Arizona Wildcats. Compton lasted 4 1/3 innings, giving up six runs on eight hits. Aldridge replaced Compton in the fifth inning, giving up another run in 1 2/3 innings of play.

Moss led the way for the ‘Dogs with two hits, a base on balls, and the only RBI on three at bats.
The ‘Dogs will be back in action at home next Thursday in a doubleheader against Providence and Pacific at 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. respectively.