Fresno State sophomore pitcher Jimmy Lambert throws a pitch during the Bulldogs’ 10-5 win over UNLV on Friday at Pete Beiden Field. (Khlarissa Agee/The Collegian)

Baseball: No late-inning magic

With the Fresno State baseball team trailing the Oregon State Beavers 2-1 in the ninth inning of Sunday’s series finale in Corvallis, first baseman Joe Prior had a chance to bring in the tying score.

Instead, Prior’s hit down the left-field line was snagged for a double play which sealed the four-game sweep for the Beavers.

Despite holding the Beavers to six hits on Sunday, the Bulldogs were unable to muster enough offense for the win.

“We need to keep playing the way we’re playing as crazy as that sounds,” said Fresno State head coach Mike Batesole. “Oregon State just played tremendous this weekend. Give our kids credit, they didn’t take a pitch off and played their hearts out.”

The Bulldogs scored their only run in the fifth inning on a squeeze by Austin Guibor that sent Kenny Corey home.

Catcher K.J. Harrison drove in his 22nd run of the season in the first, when he doubled to right to give the Beavers a 1-0 lead.

Infielder Gabe Clark immediately made it 2-0 Beavers, when he smashed his sixth home run of the season over the left field fence.

The Beavers’ bullpen held Fresno State to five hits and three walks while striking out four.

Right-hand pitcher Kevin Flemer came in as the second reliever of the game for the Beavers and picked up the win after allowing one hit and one run with two strikeouts in a career-long 2 2/3 innings.

Luke Heimlich wrapped up the Beavers’ win with 3 2/3 innings pitched to earn his first career save. The left-hander faced 11 batters, allowed one hit and struck out two.

Fresno State’s Garrett Mundell took the loss after allowing five hits and two runs with five strikeouts in 5 1/3 innings. He dropped to 1-1 on the year.

Fresno State came into the weekend series looking for its first road win of the season, but the Bulldogs struggled to score all weekend long.

After losing 2-1 Friday, the Bulldogs dropped both games in a doubleheader Saturday by a score of 5-2 and 12-2.

“We really hit the ball hard all weekend,” Batesole said. “They just magically seemed to be in the right spot all weekend.”

Sunday’s loss dropped the Bulldogs’ overall record to 7-9.

With a 7-2 record at home, the Bulldogs will face Wagner College on Tuesday for the first of five-straight games at Beiden Field.

First pitch against Wagner is set for 6:35 p.m. on both Tuesday and Wednesday night.