Baseball: ‘Dogs conclude weekend with close loss

Fresno State freshman infielder McCarthy Tatum throws to first base during Sunday's 1-0 loss to UC Davis. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)
Fresno State freshman infielder McCarthy Tatum throws to first base during Sunday’s 1-0 loss to UC Davis. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

The UC Davis Aggies took advantage of a fielding error in the top of the ninth inning to score the only run of the game, as they topped Fresno State 1-0 in Sunday’s series finale at Beiden Field.

With the win, the Aggies took two out of three from the Bulldogs in the weekend series.

Starting pitcher Garrett Mundell pitched a career-long 7 2/3 innings and allowed six hits while holding the Aggies scoreless during his stint.

“I just took it one pitch at a time,” Mundell said. “You always try to go as far as you can.”

Despite the loss, Mundell was happy with the team’s defense.

“We were fighting,” he said. “[Fresno State pitching coach Steve Rousey] did a great job of calling plays. [Taylor Ward] was there as the backstop. [Center fielder] Brody Russell made some great plays for me, and we just kept it going. Using the defense is the biggest thing we did tonight.”

Sunday’s game was the latest close finish for the Bulldogs, who had seen plenty of late inning drama in the first month of the season.

This time, however, the ‘Dogs were denied a victory in the final frames.

The Aggies brought in the winning run in the ninth inning when second baseman Jesse Medrano fumbled the ground hit.

With Zach Stone on the mound for the Aggies in the bottom of the ninth, Ward struck out swinging, first baseman Kevin Viers flied out to right center, and third baseman Manny Argomaniz singled to right center.

The Aggies then closed out the win as designated hitter Aaron Arruda flew out to center.

“We were hitting the ball hard today, but it was right at them,” Mundell said. “That’s just part of the game.”

The Bulldogs opened up the weekend series with the Aggies on Friday with a 5-4 win, then followed up with a 4-3 loss on Saturday.

Left-hand pitcher Spencer Henderson earned the win for the Aggies on Sunday after facing one batter and not allowing any hits.

Raul Jacobsen pitched in seven innings for UC Davis and struck out nine batters.

With the loss, the Bulldogs completed their five-game homestand with three wins and two losses.

The Bulldogs dropped their overall record to 10-11.

Fresno State will play against USC in Los Angeles on Tuesday before returning home Friday for a three-game series against San Jose State.

“We’re hitting the ball well. Our pitching is doing well. Guys are playing great defense,” Mundell said. “It’s literally a flip of the coin: one play, one something. For us that is encouraging. We’re going into this week playing USC and San Jose.

“San Jose is conference [play] so I’m excited.”