Fresno State senior third baseman Manny Argomaniz throws to first base during Tuesday’s 4-2 win over Wagner at Beiden Field. (Paul Schlesinger/The Collegian)

Baseball: After weekend drought, ‘Dogs get back in win column

Fresno State senior third baseman  Manny Argomaniz throws to first base during Tuesday’s 4-2 win over Wagner at Beiden Field. (Paul Schlesinger/The Collegian)

There’s no place like home for the Fresno State baseball team.

After a winless four-game series at Oregon State, the Bulldogs added their latest home victory Tuesday with a 4-2 win over Wagner College.

With the win, the Bulldogs improved their home record to 8-2.

On the other hand, the Bulldogs hold an 0-7 record on the road.

“We love the atmosphere here,” pitcher Tim Borst said. “This is a special place to play. On the road we’ve competed well but we just haven’t come out on top.”

Borst earned the win against Wagner with six hits allowed and five strikeouts in six innings pitched.

The Seahawks came into Tuesday’s game with an 0-5-1 record. But the Bulldogs did not know much about them as it was the first ever meeting between the two teams.

“Maybe as team, we underestimated them a little bit,” catcher Taylor Ward said. “I think we should have put up more runs.”

In the weekend series against the Beavers, the Bulldogs failed to score more than two runs in any game.

Tuesday against the Seahawks, the Bulldogs took a 2-0 lead after two innings.

Third baseman Manny Argomaniz scored the first run of the game when Kevin Viers singled. Then, first baseman Joe Prior added another run for the Bulldogs with a sacrifice fly.

The Seahawks finally got on the board with a leadoff home run in the top of the sixth from first baseman Tommy Mazurkiewicz.

With four hits and a Fresno State error in the sixth inning, the Seahawks tied the game at 2-2.

The Bulldogs regained the lead in the seventh inning when Taylor Ward hit a 2-RBI single against a full count to give the Bulldogs a 4-2 lead.

Fresno State’s bullpen of Jake Shull and Brennon Williams stranded runners on first and second base with back-to-back outs to end the eighth inning.

Shull returned to the mound in the ninth to earn the save and seal the win for the ‘Dogs.

Tuesday’s game was the first of a five-game homestand for the Bulldogs.
“As a student-athlete anytime you can sleep in your own bed and get away from that jet lag, it’s definitely a blessing,” Borst said. “But the main thing is we just want to come out and play everyday. I feel like we did a good job of that today.”

The Seahawks and the Bulldogs face off again on Wednesday before the ‘Dogs host UC Davis for a three-game weekend series.

“We should be better tomorrow offensively,” Ward said.

The Seahawks have lost 21 straight games in California dating back to the 1982 season.