Abigail Hudson wins ASI presidential election

Fresno State’s Associated Students, Inc. executive vice president Abigail Hudson was elected next year’s ASI president Thursday after handily defeating senior Interfraternity Council President Ralph Ruiz by a vote of 1337 to 629.

Key issues for Hudson’s campaign included campus safety, community revitalization, improving lighting projects on campus and increasing student representation and involvement.

Hudson said her experience as executive vice president has prepared her to uphold her promises.

Hudson is also thankful for the relationships she has built in the community.

“It’s about talking to a lot of different people, a lot of clubs, fraternities, sororities, just making connections with different people, showing people what you did all year, making sure they understand what you did,” Hudson said.

As she looks forward to her new role on campus, Hudson wishes the best for Ruiz.

“Ralph and I are great friends, and we still will be afterwards,” Hudson said. “I wish him the best of luck. He will do great things.”

Ruiz showed his support for Hudson on his Twitter account.

“Congrats to our new ASI President. We are in good hands. If you supported me please take the time and support her,” Ruiz wrote.

“It was a long time competing,” Hudson said. “’I’m just really excited that it’s over, and I can’t wait to start next year.”

A total of 2051 votes were counted in this year’s elections.

The other winners in the executive positions include Anthony Farnesi, who defeated Bakeel Murshed 1427-492 for vice president of finance, and Kaitlyn Sims, who became vice president of external affairs by beating out Levi Landon 1087-814.

Sims is currently the ASI college senator for the Craig School of Business while Farnesi is the current ASI vice president of finance.

“Campaigning over the last two months has been absolutely exhausting, but I’m excited to see that all the work I’ve done to reach out to the students has paid off. I’m excited to see what we will be able to accomplish in the next year,” Sims said.

The new senators at large are Taylan Bennett, Francisco Escamilla Jr., Kelli Kennedy, Simone Leighty, Cameron Patterson, Madison Prettyman, Nicholas Stephens and Blake Zante.

The new ASI college senators include Tim Ryan for Social Sciences; Cristian Sarabia for Science and Mathematics; Joshua Dowell at the Jordan College Agricultural Sciences and Technology; Daniel Townsend for Arts and Humanities; Amy Tang representing the Craig School of Business; Felicity Troupe for the Kremen School of Education and Human Development; Rahul Nunna at the Lyles College of Engineering and Ian Troupe for Health and Human Services.