Photo courtesy of Dust Bowl Brewing Company

The Brew Review: ‘Super Tramp’ is Super Good

Wheat beer is a beast of its own. It’s light, yeasty, low in alcohol and pours gold and cloudy.

Super Tramp is a departure from everything held dear by lovers of run-of-the-mill wheat beer. It’s everything a traditional wheat beer isn’t.

While at first glance it might appear standard with its golden body, Super Tramp is anything but standard. The first thing to note is that while many wheat beers go well with citrus fruit, like a slice of orange in Blue Moon, this beer has the aroma of strawberries.

That’s right, Super Tramp is a strawberry wheat beer. The combination of sweetness and bitterness works well as it balances the strawberries with the beer.

The beer is labeled as a “wheat wine ale.” Although the beer is incredibly smooth, it successfully disguises the whopping 9.8 percent alcohol by volume — an ABV virtually unheard of in a wheat beer.

For the roots of Super Tramp, you needn’t go far.

Dust Bowl is a brewery based in Turlock and is known, generally, for its IPAs like “Hops of Wrath” and “Therapist,” whose tagline is “no appointment necessary.”

The family of Dust Bowl’s founder Brett Tate left Oklahoma during the Great Depression; they eventually settled in California after surviving the Dust Bowl.

Their humble upbringing is how they raised their children “to appreciate hard work, love for family, a hearty sense of humor and a craving for new frontiers,” according to Dust Bowl.

Dust Bowl has a history of making exceptional beers, and Super Tramp is one of them. Available in 22-ounce bottles, the beer is remarkably smooth and delicious.

The only problem is that Super Tramp is only released once a year for Valentine’s Day. Also, for the past couple of years, the company that distributes the beer in Fresno has failed to get it into town in time for Valentine’s Day.

Super Tramp is a fantastic beer made for a limited time each year, and you should­ definitely get it before it goes away again.