Tennis: ‘Dogs take down Tigers in weekday showdown

The Fresno State men’s tennis team took another step forward to improve to 3-1 with a tight win in Stockton amid humid conditions in the early afternoon Wednesday.

While Pacific’s record of 0-7 may not indicate it, it has been a tough out for its last four opponents, losing by one point in each match. That toughness was on full display as the Tigers pounced on the Bulldogs early.

Pacific took the doubles point, with the team of Adam Glynn and Euan McIntosh scoring the only doubles set for Fresno State, by a score of 8-3.

Strong wins in singles by Pacific’s Ashwin Sharma and Bernardo Oliveira had the Tigers poised to take their first victory of the season. Then, things started to change.

Showing the resolve that spurred two consecutive wins after their tough loss to Cal Poly to open the season, the Bulldogs fired back with consecutive two-set victories by freshmen Joshua Zeoli and Adam Glynn to tighten things up.

Eric Komati evened things with a three set thriller. He and his opponent, senior Alex Hamilton traded sets to set up a good finish. Komati closed it out quickly though, winning 6-2.

The deciding point came in a riveting comeback victory from sophomore Euan McIntosh playing in the No. 1 singles slot. After falling to Pacific’s Sem Verbeek 2-6, things were very much in the air.

McIntosh took the second set comfortably, by a score of 6-3. The deciding set on a wild afternoon of tennis did not disappoint. McIntosh and Verbeek battled deep into the afternoon, with McIntosh ultimately claiming the 6-4 victory.

For head coach Evan Austin and a youthful Bulldogs team with only one senior, the road victory is a strong sign as they head into the rest of the season.

The ‘Dogs continue their road trip for a Valentine’s Day date with Santa Clara before returning home on Feb. 19 to face Loyola Marymount.