Tablet program will boost enrollment next year

Fresno State plans to offer a wider selection of course offerings and tablets at the Kennel Bookstore for its growing DISCOVERe program.

The program, which launched in the fall, integrates tablets into course curricula and will continue to expand from the 33 courses that were offered in its inaugural semester. That prompted a recent switch from ASUS tablets, one of three tablets offered by the school last semester, in favor of the more popular Samsung Galaxy Tab 4.

The switch will encourage students to “select devices based more on operating system preference, rather than price point,” said Dr. Chris Vieira, manager of the DISCOVERe Hub, a tablet support service located on the first floor of the Henry Madden Library.

The Kennel Bookstore sells three tablets — the Apple iPad, Windows Lenovo and the Galaxy Tab 4 — as part of packages that include data plans. Students enrolled in tablet courses can purchase outside of the university bookstore.

While it is not mandatory for DISCOVERe students to purchase a data plan, it is advised by program officials “to ensure that students have access to course work at all times no matter where they are located,” Vieira said.

He said the program hopes to expand tablet use into more general education and upper division classes in the fall, tripling the number of DISCOVERe courses offered. Fresno State plans to have 5,000 students enrolled in tablet courses next school year.

“Initial data shows that students feel more engaged in the class, feel they are learning more and even have higher grades with DISCOVERe courses in comparison with traditional courses,” Vieira said.

He added students, especially first-time tablet users, should take advantage of the Hub’s tablet training.

“The Hub offers ‘App of the Day’ training twice a day from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for students and staff who want to learn more about how mobile devices can help you be more efficient and productive,” Vieira said.

Fresno State junior Kenia Cardona Velasco said the Hub is a very helpful environment and is pleased with the work that the DISCOVERe tech support can do.

“The support staff were able to fix a problem I was having with my computer’s Java. I would definitely recommend other students to get help from the Hub,” Velasco said.

Tianna Arredondo, DISCOVERe Hub assistant manager, said that as technology advances, so does learning how to use it.

“At Fresno State, it’s important to teach students that there is more to technology than just using it for social media,” Arredondo said. “Our DISCOVERe team focuses on supporting students to learn other applications and programs that are used campuswide and in the classroom.”

Arredondo said students who’ve used DISCOVERe tech services gave favorable reviews in surveys distributed by the university.

“Our team is always ready to provide a complete solution,” Arredondo said. “We are prepared for any tech support students and faculty need and anticipate their next visit to learn more.”