Student involvement campaign kicks off

Fresno State Student Involvement kicked off the month of February by asking students what they love about Fresno State during this week’s “I Heart Fresno State” campaign.

I Heart Fresno State features three days of events: Tuesday, the discovery involvement day; today, the spirit of diversity day; and Thursday, service with distinction.

“Our main goal is to help students to feel connected to Fresno State and also to reflect upon their role within our campus community,” said Lauren Welch, graduate assistant of leadership programs.

I Heart Fresno State was created in 2013 for students to show their Bulldog pride and enhance their Fresno State experience by getting involved on campus.

Tuesday started with the idea of involvement. More than 30 clubs and organizations showed students what they are offering and different ways they can get involved.

“In the evening, we are having a student involvement ice cream social here in the University Student Union on the lounge,” Welch said. “Students can come and talk to representatives from our four leadership boards: the Campus Involvement Ambassadors, USU Board of Directors, USU Productions and Vintage Days.”

During the event, Student Involvement also recruited for those four leadership boards. The deadline to apply for a leadership position with Student Involvement is Wednesday, March 4.

Today is spirit day and Student Involvement will be participating in the Student Health Center’s “I Heart Me” event. ­It will also host a free pizza event for all Fresno State students starting at 6 p.m. before the women’s basketball game.

“At the pizza party, we will be having games and activities for students as well as prizes like Fresno State swag, sweatshirts, tumblers and an iPad mini 2,” Welch said.

Thursday is service day, when students can make Valentine’s Day cards for Valley Children’s Hospital that will later be delivered by student leaders, Welch said.

“In addition, this whole week we are having a donation drive for Ronald McDonald House, which is connected to Children’s Hospital,” Welch said. “We have donations boxes around campus –one in the Henry Madden Library, one in Joyal Administration Building, one in the University Student Union and one that’s coming around with us for our different events.”

The donations for the Ronald McDonald House Charities will raise funds for laundry soap, facial tissues, dishwashing soap, 30-gallon trash bags, paper towels and paper plates.

Marina Aguilera, a graduate assistant of campus events and students programs, thinks it’s important for students to attend campus events.

“Students tend to get tied up with the fact that ‘OK, I’m just here as a student, and all I do is go to class and go home,’ and this gives the students an opportunity to know a little bit more about what there is to do at Fresno State,” Aguilera said.

Nicole Garza, a senior criminology major, said that she understands the benefits of networking and leadership skills students acquire by being involved.

“I think it gives us a nice opportunity to give back to those less fortunate as well as to give students incentive for that. So I think it comes around full circle,” Garza said.

I Heart Fresno State aims to become one of students’ favorite traditions.

“Especially for the new students, it’s really fun and exciting when you’re coming into orientation and are excited to get to Fresno State, but after your first semester you can get burnt out,” Welch said. ­“Hopefully, this is another opportunity for them to reflect upon how wonderful and exciting this college experience is and to continue appreciating the wonderful opportunities we have here.”

“Once you’re a Bulldog, you’re a Bulldog for life,” Welch said.