Fresno State guard Cezar Guerrero (3) looks for an open teammate in the Jan. 24 win over Nevada at Save Mart Center. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

Men’s Basketball: Fresno State looks to rebound, literally

In-state Mountain West rivals Fresno State and San Jose State (2-19, 0-9 MW) will battle it out tonight, both looking to rebound from ugly weekend losses.

Fresno State (10-12, 5-4 MW) is coming fresh off suffering an 80-57 defeat to a then-ranked Colorado State. In its upcoming game against the Spartans, it will look to improve its presence in the post, something it has lacked in recent games.

After Saturday’s road loss to the Rams, head coach Rodney Terry stressed that if the ’Dogs don’t win in the rebounding category, it can diminish their chances of winning.

Losing the rebounding battle has hurt the Bulldogs in each of the past four games and that proved to be the case Saturday when the Rams outrebounded the ‘Dogs 49-29.

Other recent instances in which rebounding proved to determine the outcome of the game were in the Jan. 29 trip to San Diego State in which the Aztecs outrebounded Fresno State by 12. The statistic also doomed the Bulldogs in the triple overtime game against Wyoming about two weeks ago.

Fresno State topped the Spartans in the Jan. 14 meeting 73-62. In that game, Bulldogs Paul Watson and Marvelle Harris had seven and six rebounds, respectively while San Jose State’s top rebounders had nine and six respectively.

The Spartans, who are in dead last in the conference standings, have struggled all season and have dropped 11 games since winning their second game of the season on Dec. 9.

Promotions will continue to be a trend in Wednesday’s game as Fresno State Athletics announced that over $1,000 worth of gas gift cards will be given away every five minutes. Additionally, one iPad mini and a pair of Beats By Dre headphones will also be handed out. Tipoff at the Save Mart Center for tonight’s game is set for 7 p.m.