Jerry Tarkanian makes an appearance at the NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship between Michigan and Louisville at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Georgia, Monday, April 8, 2013. (Travis Heying/Tribune News Service)

Hall of Fame coach Jerry Tarkanian dies at age 84

Jerry Tarkanian makes an appearance at the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship between Michigan and Louisville at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Georgia, Monday, April 8, 2013. (Travis Heying/Tribune News Service)

Former Fresno State head men’s basketball coach Jerry Tarkanian, who played for the ‘Dogs from 1954-55, died Wednesday at age 84.

In seven seasons as Fresno State coach, from 1995-2002, Tarkanian tallied a 104-79 record and led the ‘Dogs to postseason basketball each year.

Before Fresno State, Tarkanian was the head coach of the UNLV Runnin’ Rebels for 19 seasons, where he won the NCAA Championship in 1990. He finished 509-105.

He also had tenures at Long Beach State and led Pasadena Community College and Riverside Community College to junior-college championships.

Last March, Tarkanian was honored before Fresno State’s matchup against San Diego State with “Tark Night” at the Save Mart Center, where his number was retired. He was also elected in the National Basketball Hall of Fame in 2013.

He is survived by his wife, Lois, four children and seven grandchildren.

“Jerry Tarkanian is one of the true legends in the coaching profession,” said current Fresno State head coach Rodney Terry. “He was successful at so many different levels in college basketball. He loved the Bulldogs and stayed connected with our program throughout the years. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Lois and family during this extremely difficult time.”

Tarkanian’s 104 wins rank him third all-time for most wins by a Fresno State head men’s basketball coach, behind Boyd Grant (194) and Ed Gregory (172).