Photo+courtesy+of+AthenaFleming.com+%2F+Models+walk+in+last+year%E2%80%99s+Made+For+Them+fashion+show+for+the+%E2%80%9CFight+with+Fashion%E2%80%9D+event.+
Photo courtesy of AthenaFleming.com / Models walk in last year’s Made For Them fashion show for the “Fight with Fashion” event.

Fighting with Fashion

Made For Them hosted its second annual Fight With Fashion event on Friday to launch its spring collection along with raising awareness on the combat of human trafficking.­ The event was held at Porsche of Fresno.

Made For Them is a non-profit organization dedicated to raising awareness toward the issue by raising funds with its clothing line and partnering with other non-profit organizations. Fight With Fashion had various guest speakers who spoke about human trafficking and what Made For Them is doing to support people who have been affected by it. The spring collection consisted of models of all body types walking the runway.

Arlette Vargas-Ali was one of many guest speakers who were present at the event. Ali is a director of strategic partnerships in Northern California for the International Justice Mission. The International Justice Mission is a human rights organization that addresses violence against the poor.

“Change is happening in front of our eyes and the light is starting to shine on this dark runway,” said Ali during her speech.

According to the United Nations Children’s Fund, there are about two million children in the commercial sex trade worldwide. Unfortunately, this was the case for a survivor of human trafficking who shared her story before the show.

Amber Lopez-Menagh said during her speech at 11 years old, her life changed forever when she was held in captivity for 30 days. During that time, Menagh said she was raped and abused along with other children.

“I was drugged every day,” Menagh said. “I was sure I was going to die there.”

Menagh said she had survived domestic violence and now is a survivor and can relate to others who have gone through similar circumstances.

“For the first time in my life I don’t feel alone anymore,” Menagh said.

Mollie Nicoletto, a social work major, had been following Made For Them on Facebook, which informed her about Fight With Fashion.

“I’ve been supporting Made For Them for a long time, and I’m really passionate about the human trafficking issue,” Nicoletto said. “So, I really do like that they incorporate fashion and art into helping combat and bring awareness to human trafficking.”