Fresno State 165-pounders Cam MacLeod and Jesus Medina engage in an exhibition match Saturday afternoon at the South Gym after their first home meet against CSU San Marcos. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

Club Sports: Wrestling club strong in first home meet

The Fresno State wrestling club defeated Cal State San Marcos 47-18 in its first dual meet of the season at Fresno State’s South Gym.

Dylan McCombs won his match by pin and Davit Gevorgyan won by technical decision while Cameron MacLeod, Jesus Izazaga, Jose Maldonado, Jesus Marez-Lopez and Daniel Avalos won their matches by forfeit.

The Bulldogs had two matches against Cal State San Marcos, then ended the night with an exhibition between two of their members: 165-pound Jesus Medina and Cam MacLeod.

Medina beat MacLeod by a higher point total after a match that went the distance.

“It was a very stressful week putting it together,” said head coach Omar Benavides. “There were some conflicts getting the facility together but overall we did a great job.

“We all have lives outside of wrestling. Some of us have to work. We all are students. Give the amount of time we have each week to work as a team, I think we did well.”

Benavides is even more proud of his team for pulling out the win despite questionable decisions.

“There were some matches in there that should have gone the other way,” Benavides said. “I question the referee’s decision, but you can’t let the refs dictate where the match will go.”

Fresno State will travel to USC on Feb. 7 for a tri-dual meet against USC and UCLA. The Bulldogs will then host the National College Wrestling Association California State Tournament on Feb.14.

“We will have at least six other schools in attendance from around California. We are very excited for that,” Benavides said. “We are putting a lot of effort to make that a huge event and get more exposure for wrestling.”