+

Baseball: ‘Dogs drop fifth in a row

Despite taking the undefeated USC Trojans into extra innings, the Fresno State baseball team was unable to snap its four-game losing streak at Beiden Field Tuesday.

With the game tied 2-2 in the top of the 11th inning, USC first baseman Jeremy Martinez walked with the bases loaded, and the Trojans took a 3-2 lead.

Pitcher Marc Huberman closed it out for the Trojans in the bottom of the 10th, sending the home crowd away in disappointment.

“You can’t walk 10 guys every game,” Fresno State head coach Mike Batesole said. “We’ve played so well in every other area. We could be the team that’s 8-0.”

After being swept by the Wolf Pack in Nevada over the weekend, the Bulldogs returned to Fresno. But they couldn’t capitalize on the comfort of home.

Behind a career-high ten strikeouts from pitcher Brooks Kriske, USC pulled out the win to extend its winning streak to nine.

Both teams connected on several hits early on. But the game stayed scoreless until the third inning when USC’s infielder Dante Flores recorded an RBI single to score Garrett Stubbs.

Dominic Topoozian replaced starting pitcher Ricky Thomas immediately following Flores’ RBI.

Clovis High alum Blake Lacey spoiled Topoozian’s entry with an RBI single to give the Trojans a 2-0 lead.

A triple by Fresno State outfielder Austin Guibor gave the Bulldogs one run in the bottom of the third and brought the crowd to life.

“Austin has been hitting the ball so well,” Batesole said. “That’s why we let him stay in there and hit against a left-hander today. He has been hitting with confidence so we moved him up in the order and good for him for answering the bell.”

Facing lefty sophomore Bernardo Flores in the bottom of the sixth, Fresno State pinch hitter Taylor Tempel smashed a home run over the left field fence to tie the game at 2-2.

With the game still tied in the top of the ninth inning, Jake Shull worked on the mound for the Bulldogs and the Trojan’s couldn’t break the tie.

The Bulldogs also went scoreless in the bottom of the ninth. The teams went to extra inning, and the Trojans earned the win to improve their record to 9-0.

The Bulldogs lost at home for the second time this season and dropped their overall record to 3-5.

Next up for the Bulldogs is a three-game series at home against UNLV.

“We better throw strikes Friday night or nothing will change,” Batesole said.