ASI meeting discusses potential honors program closure

The Associated Students, Inc. held its third meeting of the spring semester Wednesday in the University Student Union.

Among the topics discussed at the meeting were the Craig School of Business possibly closing its honors program for next year.

Senator Kaitlyn Sims said she was told about the Craig School of Business closing its honors program during an Honors Council meeting Wednesday.

Because the Craig School of Business accepts only seniors in its honors program, Sims was hoping to join the program next year. Now, Sims said, she is not sure if she will have that option.

“I’m incredibly disappointed by this,” Sims said. “We were told we would have the option to do this program as seniors.”

Sims said she has not been told why the honors program will be cancelled, but expects to have more information after meeting with the dean next week.

If the honors program does close, Sims said she hopes it will not be for more than a year.

She expects the Craig School of Business to send out emails to students in the coming days.

In the meantime, Sims wants to represent other students who are in the same predicament.

“If any students have questions, feel free to come to me,” she said. “As I get more information, I will inform the senate. I know it’s something that a lot of students will be upset about. I hope it’s only closed for a year, but we’ll see what happens.”

Also at the ASI meeting Wednesday, the senate approved the committee appointments of former Fresno City College Associated Student Government president Daniel Gai and Fresno State 101 graduate Nick Stephens.

Fresno State 101 is a set of three workshops designed to educate students on higher education issues while showing the importance of student representatives within the university.

Fresno State 101 students were invited to the meeting Wednesday and were recognized by ASI.