Fresno State guard Raven Fox passes the ball during the ‘Dogs’ 58-46 victory over San Jose State Jan. 14. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

Women’s Basketball: ‘Dogs return home on winning streak

Undefeated in conference play, the third-longest winning streak in program history, and trailing only for a total of 4:56 this season — Fresno State women’s basketball head coach Jaime White is making her first season look easy.

Fresno State guard Raven Fox passes the ball during the 'Dogs' 58-46 victory over San Jose State Jan. 14. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

But she assures it is anything but.

“It’s not necessarily easy,” White said. “It’s just about every game, and every game brings a different challenge. Our kids have done a great job of stepping up to the challenge. It’s not always at the beginning of the game, but they adapt throughout the game.”

And it is that adaptability that has helped Fresno State gel in tricky situations. The ‘Dogs have seen more players step up, specifically newcomer Shauqunna Collins, who is second in the Mountain West in steals at 2.3 per game.

The 5-foot-4 junior transfer also proved to be a true bulldog, out-manning Nevada’s 6-foot-8 center Mimi Mungedi on a few plays in the paint.

“I don’t even know how she does it,” Fresno State forward Alex Sheedy said. “She’s inspirational.”

To put the season in perspective, at this time last year (18 games), the ‘Dogs were 11-7, 5-3 in Mountain West play, and lost to the Nevada Wolf Pack at home. Fresno State’s last loss to a conference opponent was on Feb. 15, 2014, when the Rams beat the ‘Dogs in Fort Collins, Colorado.

The Bulldogs would beat the Rams in the Mountain West Championship game last March.

Finally home

The Bulldogs will approach this game differently than the past two, as they will finally be at the Save Mart Center. For them, there is no place like home.

But despite playing at their home court, White is reminding her team that there is still work to do.

Tonight, the ‘Dogs host the San Diego State Aztecs, who are 6-12 overall and 3-4 in conference play. Fresno State beat them earlier this season in San Diego. Sheedy had a game-high 19 points in the contest.

But in the past two seasons, Fresno State has only lost to San Diego State at home. In 2013, the ‘Dogs lost 70-69.

“[The Aztecs] are a big, tough and physical team,” Sheedy said. “What we’ve been drilled on during practice is to be strong on the boards and be smart with the ball.”