What to Watch Wednesday

The top picks for tonight’s primetime television (yes, actual live TV)

“American Idol” (FOX)­

Taraji P. Henson (left) and Terrence Howard (right) star in FOX’s hit drama “Empire.” Photo courtesy of FOX

8 p.m.

Auditions continue for the show’s 14th season, and those who have watched from the beginning know that the auditions are usually more entertaining than the competition itself.

This episode takes place in San Francisco for auditions No.7. This season’s judge panel features the return of Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban, Harry Connick, Jr. with Ryan Seacrest back on hosting duty.

“Empire” (FOX)

9 p.m.

FOX’s provocative hit from creator Lee Daniels is already an instant fave with viewers and critics alike, so much so that the freshman show has already been renewed for a second season.

“Empire” is attracting more notice and viewers (approximately 10.9 million during its third episode) for its current focus on strong gay and black storylines centered around a nearly all-black cast.

Oscar nominees Taraji P. Henson and Terrence Howard bring force to the hip-hop drama while familiar faces like Cuba Gooding, Jr, Gabourey Sidibe, Macy Gray, Courtney Love and even Naomi Campbell filter in and out as recurring characters.

“Suits” (USA)

10 p.m.

The legal drama full of snazzy suits and classic film references is back with its season four mid-season premiere. Hey, the show isn’t called “Suits” for any old reason.

Gabriel Macht directs the premiere episode. The premiere is expected to have top notch drama after the lawyers find themselves in a power struggle with Louis’ leverage after he learned of Mike’s secret in the winter finale episode.

“The Americans” (FX)

10 p.m.

Two Russian spies posing as a normal American couple (hence that creative yet concise, title) during the Reagan administration unbeknownst to their children and neighbor, who just happens to be an FBI agent — what could possibly go wrong for the KGB spies?

The tense period drama returns for its season three premiere with Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys back as the Jennings.