The Super Bowl: It’s a football game

In an area where students need an incentive to go to their school’s sporting events, I’m surprised at how many people here know of the Super Bowl.

But, alas, it’s not because of the game. It’s the food, the halftime show and the same-old Budweiser commercial featuring Clydesdales and a puppy that has people crying.

Case in point, the festivities outweigh the actual reason they are there in the first place: there’s an actual football game.

This year, I thought it would be different. With two teams known for their style of play, one of which is a returning contender, there could be no reason at all for the focus to go away from the actual game. There’s no chance that the media will focus on something insignificant — make a mountain out of a molehill, as is the old parlance.

And just like that, the air was taken out of my hopes.

See, the New England Patriots — the AFC Champions and one of the teams in the football game — have been accused of doctoring footballs to improve handling. Apparently, someone has been sticking a needle in the footballs and deflating them so much that it helped the team beat the Indianapolis Colts 45-7.

This has been blown so much out of proportion, that the media have already given it a name. And I’m not mentioning it on here. (Hint: It has something to do with Richard Nixon.)

The NFL has launched an investigation, while every soul outside of New England, whether he or she knows what a football is or not, is declaring the Patriots guilty.

Did the Patriots doctor the footballs? I don’t know. I’m a fan who lives in Fresno, so ask someone in the organization. In fact, those people have already given you their answer:

No.

But if the commercials, food, halftime show and brand new episode of “The Blacklist” that comes after the Super Bowl weren’t enough to distract people from the actual game, something new comes along to stir the pot.

It’s ludicrous. This is a football game. Do you know who played at the halftime show during the first Super Bowl in 1967? The University of Arizona and University of Michigan marching bands did. Two schools whose states were not in the game at all (the game was between Kansas City and Green Bay).

This year, we have Katy Perry, this deflating stuff and puppies.

The focus of the Super Bowl is being taken away from the spectacle on the field, and now it is necessary to nitpick at any little thing that will have people talking. It’s not about the 4-3 defense against a West Coast offense. It’s about why Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch doesn’t like talking to the media.

It’s not about a team’s quest for its first ring in 10 years. It’s about whether or not that team is packing a needle.

And it’s not about the 60 minutes of football that makes the event so noteworthy. It’s about whether a company that makes depressants can make a sadder commercial.

Folks, the focus has shifted. And unless you’re talking about the game, you shouldn’t refer to it as the “Super Bowl.”

Just call it another Sunday.