New food app aims to reduce long lines

Tapingo, an app that allows users to order from campus food vendors on their smartphones, launched at Fresno State this semester aimed at alleviating lunch traffic.

Using the app, available for iPhone and Android, students can order from The Bucket, Taco Bell, Panda Express and Subway on campus instead of standing in line.

“This is going to be a great new service for our campus, as now students can order from their classroom and pick up their food without having to wait in line to order and pay,” said Debbie Adishian-Astone, associate vice president for auxiliary operations and enterprise development at Fresno State.

Users must register a credit card or a Paypal account with the app, which allows customers to look through food vendors’ menus, customize orders and pay for meals. They then get an estimated pick-up time.

“We are doing a soft launch right now, and our goal is to do a large scale promotion the second week of February,” said Adishian-Astone.

Tapingo is used by colleges across the nation, including New York University, University of Southern California, University of Pacific and CSU Northridge.

Auxiliary Services is also continuing the search for a food vendor to replace the Chick-fil-A in the bottom floor of the University Student Union. Final concept proposals from potential vendors were due Thursday.

The university has been searching for a local Mexican restaurant to fill the space. The search included a survey last semester in which more than 1,200 students were polled on potential vendors they’d like to see take over the space.

“We hope to make an announcement on who will be operating this location around mid-February and to have the new concept open by mid-March depending upon the level of tenant improvement they will require,” said Adishian-Astone.