Kernels of [Pop] Culture

Melissa McCarthy at the 63rd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards on Sunday, September 18, 2011, at Nokia Theatre, L.A. Live, in Los Angeles. (Allen J. Schaben/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

Remake nabs­its “Ghostbusters”

The all-female lead cast is set to bring the classic ‘80s comedy back on screen with the likes of Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon.

Director Paul Feig will join forces again with funny ladies McCarthy and Wiig, who both starred in “Bridesmaids,” which Feig directed. Feig broke the news Tuesday via his Twitter account by tweeting a photo collage of the four. This will mark SNL’s Jones’ first feature film.

The reboot will hit theaters in the summer on July 22, 2016.

Katie Holmes’ return­to TV

Holmes’ return to the small screen marks her first major long term TV role since her breakout on teen soap “Dawson’s Creek.” She joins Showtime’s hit show “Ray Donovan” in its third season as a businesswoman seeking fixer Donovan’s (Liev Schreiber) help and services.

Holmes was last seen on TV portraying Jackie Kennedy in the miniseries “The Kennedys” in 2011.

Showtime’s “Ray Donovan” is the network’s most-watched show after “Homeland” and will return this summer.

‘Rush Hour’ gets­a pilot pickup

CBS gives the TV adaptation of the 1998 comedy an official pilot order for 2015. The TV version will be based on the film’s original storyline of a no-nonsense Hong Kong police officer assigned to work on a case in Los Angeles where he teams up with an over-confident African-American LAPD officer.

“Rush Hour” director Brett Ratner will executive produce the hour-long action comedy along with “Cougar Town” co-creator Bill Lawrence who will also write for the show.

Comedian Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan both starred in the original “Rush Hour” and subsequent sequels.

“Steve Jobs” film­locks down cast

The anticipated biopic of the late Apple innovator finalized its cast on Tuesday with Michael Fassbender as Steve Jobs. Oscar-winning director Danny Boyle teams up with fellow Oscar-winning writer Aaron Sorkin to produce the long stalled project.

The cast comprises of Seth Rogen, Kate Winslet, Jeff Daniels, Katherine Waterston and Michael Stuhlbarg.

Rogen will play Steve Wozniak, Winslet as former Macintosh marketing boss Joanna Hoffman, Daniels as former Apple CEO John Sculley, Waterston as Jobs’ ex-girlfriend Chrisann Brennan and Stuhlbarg as one of the original Mac developers.

The film is based on author Walter Issacson’s biography of Jobs. The most recent depiction starred Ashton Kutcher in 2013’s “Jobs.”