Increased budget may lead to higher enrollment

With a record number of 760,000 undergraduate applications to California State University schools last fall, Gov. Jerry Brown’s increased budget proposal in higher education could lead to an increase in Fresno State’s enrollment for the upcoming academic year.

On Jan. 9, Brown released a statement on the State of California website focusing on the proposed budget plan for the 2015-16 year. Brown said that he intends to keep college tuition at a flat rate by increasing institutional funding.

“The budget commits $762 million to each of the university systems,” Brown said. “This increased funding is provided contingent on tuition remaining flat.”

Bernard Vinovrski, Fresno State’s associate vice president for enrollment services, said that Fresno State anticipates 23,500 students for the fall 2015 semester, an increase of more than 350 additional students.

“Fresno State typically admits 60% of freshman applicants and transfer applicants,” Vinovrski said.

According to Fresno State’s Office of Institutional Effectiveness (OIE), since the 2011 fall semester, the number of Fresno State first time freshmen has increased 20.8 percent, while undergraduate transfers have decreased by 0.9 percent.

Fresno State’s total enrolled count last semester was 23,138 including both full-time resident students and non-resident students.

Some Fresno State students said they are concerned with the potential enrollment increase’s effect in creating larger class sizes and affecting course availabilities.

Fresno State freshman criminology student Azu Luna, 18, said he believes if Fresno State increases its enrollment size, it would create more pressure for students.

“We already struggle to where we are waitlisted or can’t get into the class,” Luna said.

“If there are more people, it’s going to be even harder to get into classes.”

Since fall 2013, Fresno State has opened an additional 62 classes for enrollment, as well as 29 online courses, most of which are still used for lectures through the new DISCOVERe tablet program launched by President Joseph Castro.

“Currently, the funding from the state is not sufficient for additional classes in the 2015-16 school year,” said Dr. Dennis Nef, dean of Undergraduate Studies.

“We will need to carefully manage admissions, course offerings, and enrollments in order to meet the target we have been given.”