CSU passes $4 representation fee for all students

The California State University board of trustees passed a yearly $4 fee increase Wednesday for students at all of its 23 campuses aimed at funding a student lobbying agency.

The recipients of the new funding, the California State Student Association (CSSA), said that the $2 per semester fee, taking effect the upcoming fall semester, will help the organization stay independent from the CSU system as it tries to influence policy at the state level.

“As a result of the trustees’ action, students will have additional opportunities to advocate in Sacramento and Washington, D.C., serve on committees and task forces at the CSU system level and participate in leadership development programs,” said Devon Graves, CSSA chair and Cal Poly Pomona student.

If every student were to pay the fee, the CSSA estimates it could raise about $1.7 million.

However, the new Student Involvement and Representation Fee (SIRF) isn’t sitting well with everyone, notably Fresno State Associated Students, Inc. President Moses Menchaca.

Menchaca said CSSA’s new student funding undermines the CSU’s student governments.

Student governments currently act as middlemen between students and the CSSA, and reserve the right to revoke their funding if they feel the lobbying agency is acting against their university’s interests.

But if the CSSA gets its money directly from students, stopping the funding becomes more difficult.

“In the past, we’ve seen the CSSA take stances that directly negatively impact certain campuses and, in the past, they’ve pulled out of CSSA because the campuses felt like they didn’t represent them,” Menchaca said.

“What happens if SIRF passes is that we no longer have that ability. Our students are paying the fee to be a part of CSSA, and whether they agree with us or are supporting Fresno State doesn’t matter.”

Menchaca said ASI will be meeting with students to inform them how they can opt out of paying the fee if they choose.

Though, for now, CSSA is taking this as a pivotal moment in their history and a victory in their efforts to gain adequate long-term funding.

“It’s crucial that there is always an avenue for students to carry legislation or work directly with the chancellor and board of trustees on important issues,” said Sarah Couch, former CSSA president and current graduate student at Sacramento State. “The only way that happens is by sustaining an independent and strong CSSA.”