Best of Sundance: Five films to see

A view of Main Street in Park City, Utah, home of the Sundance Film Festival. (Jay L. Clendenin/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

The annual film festival, one of the largest in the United States is known for showcasing plenty of independent films for studios and producers to fight over in bidding wars, but it’s also known for providing movie lovers a hint of what is likely to come to theaters near you. The festival brings filmmakers, celebrities and up-and-comers together with hundreds of films, documentaries and shorts screened for roughly two weeks.

Last year’s Sundance Film Festival brought current Academy Award nominee “Whiplash” to the big screen across the United States. Although it’s hard (really hard) to narrow down picks from Sundance, I tried my best to give a small roundup of what’s to come.

For those unable to leave campus and put on their best winter wardrobe to attend the festival in Utah, here’s what is likely gain favor with audiences and critics alike:

1. “Dope”

Writer and director Rick Famuyiwa, best known for “The Wood” and “Our Family Wedding,” gives Sundance its buzziest and dare I say, dopest film yet. Starring Zoë Kravitz, rapper A$AP Rocky, “Workaholics” Blake Anderson and newcomer Shameik Moore, the film also boasts a pretty ‘dope’ soundtrack with Snoop Dogg, NWA, Eazy-E and more.
Moore’s character Malcolm is a teenage, punk-band singer growing up in Inglewood, California with his two other ‘90s-obsessed nerd friends, Diggy (Kiersey Clemons) and Jib (Tony Revolori).
The film takes us on the the friends’ journey of trying to accomplish their dreams while avoiding an environment filled with violence and gang life.

2. “The D-Train”

Forget the recent “bromance” pairs of Channing Tatum with Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen with James Franco, the match-up between Jack Black and James Marsden in “The D-Train.”
The black comedy navigates Black’s character Dan Landsman trying to persuade Oliver Lawless (James Marsden), the most popular classmate to come to their 20-year high school reunion.
Landsman, the head of the high school reunion committee takes on the task in hopes of reinventing his image as the social outcast in bringing back Lawless.

3. “The End of the Tour”

Based on journalist’s David Lipsky’s book that depicts his five-day interview with author David Foster Wallace during the end of Wallace’s book tour. The character drama zeroes in on the two writers’ push and pull as they figure out each other’s agendas and in turn, themselves. James Ponsoldt of “Smashed” and “The Spectacular Now” directs the drama with Mamie Gummer and Anna Chlumsky starring as well.

4. “Slow West”

Anything with Michael Fassbender has to be good, right? Well, this western drama unfolds when Jay Cavendish (Kodi Smit-McPhee) ventures across frontier America from Scotland to find the woman he loves, Rose Ross (Caren Pistorius), accompanied by a mysterious wanderer Silas, played by — who else? Michael Fassbender.
The film also marks director and writer John Maclean’s debut.

5. “Sleeping With Other People”

The only comedy on the list and slightly zany rom-com features the pair up of Jason Sudeikis and Allison Brie. The two pursue their mutual attraction after attending a sex addiction group years after losing their virginity to each other while in college.
While hash he is a womanizer and she is a serial cheater the two take on a relationship. Adam Scott and Amanda Peet also star in this off-kilter comedy.