CSUs promote student enrollment in Covered California health insurance

As part of a systemwide health insurance education project, Fresno State and the Central Valley Health Network held their first workshop Tuesday to provide students and families with education and enrollment information about Covered California.

Part of a statewide project involving over 16 CSUs, the Fresno State branch of the California State University Health Insurance Education Project (CSU HIEP) is designed to help students learn more about Covered California, as well as provide resources and opportunities for students to access insurance.

“Our main goal is to provide Fresno State students, their families and the community with information on how to get health insurance, giving them the tools and the resources they may need,” said Laura Calderon, Fresno State’s department of public health student coordinator.

Twenty percent of Fresno State students did not have health insurance in 2014 according to a survey conducted by the American College Health Association (ACHA). On average, 70 percent of students throughout the CSU system may be eligible for the expanded Medi-Cal program when enrolling in Covered California.

So far, Calderon said, at least 250,000 students throughout the CSU system already have enrolled in health insurance plans, many more students still need to be covered.

“It is important because we want to give students peace of mind,” Calderon said.

Fresno State students, families and community members are able to participate in the open-enrollment workshops consisting of 30-minute demonstrations that enroll participants directly on site. Requirements needed to enroll for Covered California include a valid I.D., proof of address, Social Security number, household income and information for any other family members who want to enroll.

Students who have yet to enroll in a health insurance program still have the opportunity to do so online through CoveredCA.com or through additional sessions that will be held Jan. 29 and Feb. 5 in the Health Center.

Students who are unable to attend a workshop can also set up an appointment with the Central Valley Health Network that can meet directly with the students in their homes.

“The staff are very flexible,” said Mao Xiong, community coordinator for the Central Valley Health Network. “They’ll work with you and are more than willing to come and meet with you and provide that service to students for free.”

Many students who might not think they are covered, Xiong said, should still do their research.

“A very large percentage of students may be able to qualify for Medi-Cal,” Xiong said, “Students who are single and make less than $16,150 can qualify for Medi-Cal and get insurance for absolutely free.”

The window for students seeking to enroll through Covered California is from November 15 to Feb. 15. Students who do not enroll by the deadline may face a penalty of up to $625 when filing their taxes, or be unable to file a tax return at all.

“I want to stress the importance, because it is the law,” Calderon said, “I’m here to help students in any way with any questions they have to find the resources they need.”

The next workshop will be held on Dec. 4 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Student Health and Counseling Center.