Fresno State junior guard Brittany Aikens (center) leaps as she takes the ball downcourt on a fast-break during the ‘Dogs 89-33 victory over Notre Dame De Namur Sunday at the Save Mart Center. Photo by Darlene Wendels/The Collegian

Women’s Basketball: Fresno State rings in new year with a W

Fresno State junior guard Brittany Aikens (center) leaps as she takes the ball downcourt on a fast-break during the 'Dogs 89-33 victory over Notre Dame De Namur Sunday at the Save Mart Center. Photo by Darlene Wendels/The Collegian
The quest for another Mountain West Championship began Sunday, when the Fresno State women’s basketball team beat the Notre Dame De Namur Argonauts 89-33 at the Save Mart Center.

The exhibition match was the first of a two-game doubleheader. The men’s basketball team’s contest took place afterward.

“I felt good about how our kids played,” said Fresno State head coach Jaime White. “I thought we could have done a little bit better on the boards and finishing in transition. Overall, we did a good job. We were able to run a lot of our stuff and knock down some inside shots.”

Senior forward Alex Sheedy led the ‘Dogs with 13 points in 18 minutes played. She scored the first five points for Fresno State to start off the game.

Junior guard Brittany Aikens came off the bench and went 5-7 shooting for 12 points, second in that category, in 13 minutes played.

“It felt amazing on the court,” Aikens said, “and just to focus. Every single practice, we’re just working on individual shooting and that helps my mental image of making sure the ball goes through the hoop.”

The Bulldogs spread the ball around during the game, as each player scored at least once. Four players were in double digits (Sheedy, Aikens, Raven Foxx and Toni Smith). Bego Faz Davalos, with seven points and 10 rebounds, was three points shy of a double-double.

“I’m really glad that we got to see such a good effort,” Sheedy said. “Our team was very versatile, and I think we have a lot of people who could contribute. I’m just really happy we got the win and got all the jitters out.”

The Bulldogs will host the Cal Poly Mustangs Sunday at 2 p.m., then the Cal State Stanislaus Warriors on Nov. 19.