The Fresno State women’s basketball team huddles up toward the end of a timeout during the ‘Dogs’ 65-36 victory over Cal State Stanislaus Wednesday at the Save Mart Center. Photo by Logan Downing/The Collegian

Women’s Basketball: ‘Dogs get physical in win over Stanislaus

The Fresno State women's basketball team huddles up toward the end of a timeout during the 'Dogs' 65-36 victory over Cal State Stanislaus Wednesday at the Save Mart Center. Photo by Logan Downing/The Collegian

In its win Wednesday night, the Fresno State women’s basketball team relied on an aggressive presence led by the tandem of forward Alex Sheedy and center Bego Faz Davalos.

Both combined for 39 points — over half of the amount needed for Fresno State’s 65-36 victory over the Cal State Stanislaus Warriors Wednesday night at the Save Mart Center.

“I thought we started out of the gates pretty good,” said Fresno State head coach Jaime White. “Obviously, Alex and Bego did a good job. We challenged Bego with running the floor a little bit more and I think she did that about 90 percent of the time tonight.”

The ‘Dogs got off to a fast start when Sheedy made the opening two buckets followed by a layup by Faz Davalos. Later in the opening frame, the ‘Dogs went on a 12-2 run.

The ‘Dogs struggled in 3-point shooting. Out of 17 attempts, only Sheedy and Natascha Hartvich made their shots — two apiece.

Ball control was a strong point for the ‘Dogs, as they only had one turnover in the first half. However, the ‘Dogs struggled with shooting, especially in the second half. In the first stanza, Fresno State was 18 of 41 from the field (43.9 percent). After the intermission, it was 9 of 27 (33.3 percent).

“We started to run some of our quicks and get some reps on different things that we needed to work on,” White said after Thursday’s practice. “All of a sudden, that makes you start thinking a little bit more, and I think that’s where that dip came in.”

The bench saw some playing time, as Toni Smith led the reserves with eight points. Each of the active bench players was in the double-digits in minutes played.

“For us, it’s important that everyone gets their feet wet,” White said. “It’s not always the easiest coaching-wise, but that’s what these games are for.”

Time for USC

On Saturday, the ‘Dogs will visit the USC Women of Troy in a nonconference battle. Last season, Fresno State fell at home 63-54. All time, USC leads the series 6-5.

“We played [the Women of Troy] well last year,” White said, “so we’ve watched that game. They’re probably a little more athletic this year. They do have some new kids, but we’re going to be up against probably a Top-25 team.”

The Women of Troy, led by second-year head coach Cynthia Cooper-Dyke, are coming off a NCAA Tournament appearance after winning the Pac-12 Championship over Stanford.

Currently, they are 1-1 and will visit Long Beach State on Friday before hosting the ‘Dogs.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Shakila JayasooriyaNov 22, 2014 at 5:25 pm

My family doctor told me about danger fact of weight,after that I got a dog for spend more time with walking.and when i need to more help i will find my favaurite dog walking jobsseekers .now i spend my life with my kids pleasurely