Fresno State redshirt freshman Bego Faz Davalos (right) attempts a jump shot during the ‘Dogs’ 65-36 victory over Cal State Stanislaus Wednesday at the Save Mart Center. Photo by Logan Downing/The Collegian

Women’s Basketball: A roadblock for opponents

Fresno State redshirt freshman Bego Faz Davalos (right) attempts a jump shot during the 'Dogs' 65-36 victory over Cal State Stanislaus Wednesday at the Save Mart Center. Photo by Logan Downing/The Collegian

Let it be known, if there is one thing that Fresno State center Bego Faz Davalos enjoys, it is jumping up at just the right time and swatting the basketball to preserve her team’s lead.

At 6 feet, 3 inches tall, the tallest ‘Dog on the court has asserted that ability. On Wednesday, the redshirt freshman blocked seven shots, which is more than a Bulldog had in a single game all last year.

That is just one statistic. She also posted a double-double in Fresno State’s victory over the Cal State Stanislaus Warriors with 19 points and 14 rebounds.

And she does it with a smile. With a big grin, she emphasizes that her gameplay is all in good fun.

“My personality doesn’t change during games,” she said. “I just enjoy it.”

With a fresh head coach and staff, her transition from the bench to the court has been easy. With a strong team behind her, she admires her time on the court and is excited for what happens in the future.

“It’s amazing,” she said. “I love my new teammates and coaches. I just love the new environment we’re playing in.”

Faz Davalos, who sat in her first year of eligibility, used the extra time to pick up on her English and hone her basketball fundamentals.

“I didn’t know English, so it was confusing,” she said. “So, I decided to redshirt. I wanted to pick up my English in classes and get stronger.”

During her year, she improved her technique and approach on the court. One part the coaches worked on was her shooting — which has proven effective this year. She has averaged a double-double so far: 11 points and 10 rebounds.

And while defending inside the paint, she remains mindful of her technique.

“I need to keep working on fouls,” she said. Then she held her hands up. “It’s more physical, so when [the opponents] come to me, I just have to do this.”

With the Bulldogs ready to head to Los Angeles — and a little more than a month before conference play begins — Faz Davalos is not focused on trying to lead the conference in blocks. Nor is she trying to be the face of the program.

Instead, she says, there is still a lot to learn.

“We have really good seniors, such as Alex Sheedy,” she said. “I just want to learn from them.”