Fresno State forward Fanny Johansson keeps possession of the ball during the ‘Dogs’ 4-0 loss to the San Jose State Spartans at the Soccer and Lacrosse Field Friday night. Photo by Darlene Wendels/The Collegian

Soccer: ‘Dogs open new home field; drop season finale

Fresno State forward Fanny Johansson keeps possession of the ball during the 'Dogs' 4-0 loss to the San Jose State Spartans at the Soccer and Lacrosse Field Friday night. Photo by Darlene Wendels/The Collegian

The view was different than usual. Rather than being enclosed by 41,031 seats at Bulldog Stadium, rows of cypress trees lined the perimeter of the Fresno State soccer team’s new venue.

The soccer and lacrosse field east of Bulldog Stadium, which received new seats, a concession area and PA system, became the new permanent home for the ‘Dogs Friday night.

However, the ‘Dogs ended their season with their third-straight loss, this one a 4-0 shutout to the San Jose State Spartans.

Before the game, Fresno State honored its three seniors, Jaycee Bingham, Joana Lopez and Riley Fielder, as part of Senior Night.

Then, the Spartans began the night with back-to-back goals. The first came when junior Darlene Rodriguez knocked one in past Fresno State Domenique Banta in the 34th minute. Senior Alex Jimenez followed two minutes later with her first-career score.

The Bulldogs battled to stay in the game and prevented San Jose State from scoring for the rest of the half.

Halfway through the second stanza, the Spartans capitalized on a Bulldog foul in the penalty box. Alex Donaldson knocked in the free kick to put San Jose State up 3-0. With less than five minutes to go in the game, Lupita Estrada slammed the door with a bicycle kick that zoomed past Banta.

This loss ends the Bulldogs’ season at 4-16 overall, 3-8 in conference play and three straight losses.