Election Day Coverage 2014

Live Election Coverage 2014

12:30 a.m.:­Fresno Mayor Ashley Swearengin is still trailing Betty Yee for California State Controller, now at­47.8­percent to 52.2 percent.

12:00 a.m.: Propositions 1 and 2 are both leading “Yes.” With 96.5 percent of precincts reporting, Rep. Jim Costa is still behind Johnny Tacherra 49.3 percent to 50.7 percent.

11:30 p.m.: Proposition 48, the Madera casino initiative, is currently not passing with 59 percent against. Fresno Mayor Ashley Swearengin is trailing Betty Yee for California State Controller at­48 percent to 52 percent.

11:00 p.m.: Johnny Tacherra is leading against incumbent Rep. Jim Costa 48.5 percent to 51.5 percent.

10:30 p.m.: Proposition 45, an­initiative­that would regulate health insurance rates, is projected to fail. California Rep. Jim Costa is fighting to keep is job as Johnny Tacherra is unexpectedly leading in the race.

10:00 p.m.:­­Measure Z, the Zoo tax, is leaning­largely “Yes.” Proposition 1, the water bond, is leaning “Yes.”

9:30 p.m.: Proposition 47, an initiative­that would reduce many drug and other non-violent crimes, is projected to­pass in California. Both Oregon and Washington D.C. are projected to pass the legalization of Marijuana, a result that could force the Federal Government to respond.­Rep. David Valadao (R) is projected to defeat Amanda Renteria (D) for re-election in the 21st California Congressional District.

8:59 p.m.: Neel Kashkari officially conceded the California Governorship. While local election results are still coming in, the Republicans­are projected to take control of the Senate and will easily hold onto the House of Representatives.

8:28 p.m.: ­The Republican party are projected to take control of the U.S. Senate, which was controlled by Democrats, with projected wins in North Carolina and Iowa.

8:02 p.m.: Polls close­California. Republican senators win re-election in Georgia and Kansas.

7:33 p.m.: The Republicans have taken Montana from Democratic Sen. Amanda Curtis. Republicans only need to take one more senate seat from the Democrats to make their victory official.

6:56 p.m.: It looks like the Senate is going to be taken by the Republicans. Colorado was taken by Republican challenger Cory Gardener. It’s all but certain that Republicans will have the Senate and the House of Representatives. The Republicans only need to take two more seats from Democrats to secure the Senate.

6:30 p.m.: It’s been a good night for Republicans. They’ve gained three seats in the­Senate­from Kentucky, Arkansas and South Dakota. Also, Mitch McConnell, the leading Senate Republican, retained his seat in what was projected to be close race in Kentucky.

The Collegian will begin its election coverage at 6 p.m. This page will be updated intermittently throughout the night as news comes in.